forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#81 Fri 08 Jun 12 5:59am

DCBlake

Member since Thu 07 Jun 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

marricked wrote:

DCBlake wrote:

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a 21 year old with male with cooking as a hobby.  I'd want to learn how to make desserts and I'm thinking of making pie but I dont know how to bake. What kind of dessert are made by beginners. I'm thinking of pudding. Anyone has an easy recipe for pudding? And any advices for a successful first time at making pudding?

Hi DCBlake - I used this recipe about a year ago and everyone in my family loved it - and it is really easy and simple to follow! www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recip … f-puddings

Thanks! I'm going to try it tonight and surprise my family.  smile

Likes (0)

#82 Fri 08 Jun 12 6:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Debz13 wrote:

Hi Jamie, im doing a course at college, VRQ in Professional Cookery, and have an exam coming up in a couple of weeks, 1 dish we have to include is poached egg on a crouton, how can i make this different ? everyone on the course is talking about there going to do a hollandaise sauce, but i want to something totally different and surprise Chef, any ideas would be very useful, thankyou in advance  big_smile
Debbie

Deb , it's really important with poaching eggs that the egg is as fresh as possible ,
So if you know someone who has chickens then ask them for a few fresh eggs for your exam .
The reason for this is the albumen ( egg white ) starts to break down  very soon after the egg is laid .
The fresher the egg , the tighter the albumen clings around the yolk.

Very fresh eggs also taste better .
Eggs from small suppliers like friend who have a few chicken in their garden or someone with a small holding ,or small farms , tend to produce eggs that have deeper yellow yolks in comparison to the mass produced supermarket eggs that have paler yolks.

For an exam it is well worth sourcing the tastiest and best looking ingredients that you can find.

To me crouton 'as are those little fried lumps of bread that get sprinkled on soup or salads !
But I think in this case you are thinking more about a larger crouton to serve the egg ontop of.
Why not make this into like a toasted sandwich ?
By using  decent fresh soft bread ( not pre-sliced packet bread ) you can cook these well on a heavy bottom fry pan .
Only butter the outside of the bread , the side that will come into contact with the pan .
Fill the middle of the bread with fine grated cheese , maybe spread the bread first with something like a decent chutney that goes with your chosen dish , add fine grated cheese ( to make sure it melts in the middle of the sandwich !) as its fine grated you will need a larger pile of it than you think !
Sandwich the top slice if bread in .
Put into a ready heated  frypan .
Don't be tempted to press the 2 halves of the sandwich together as you want the bread to stay soft  and have a good shape .
When first side is brown turn over the sandwich using a spatula or fish slice.

Try this at home a few times , and see how you get on.
What you end up with us a soft toasted sandwich which tastes slightly more like a fried bread taste . The bread is crisp on the outside but has a soft texture when you bite into it. Sometimes I do sprinkle a bit of salt on the outside of the bread as it nears the end of its cooking and is still in the pan ,depending on what the filling of the sandwich is and what it is going with.
Not altogether nessersary but it does add just a slight more depth to the taste .
You could fill the sandwich with a cream cheese and smoked fish mix .
That would go well with the egg .
Very nice !

If you think this is the wrong sort of crouton but like the idea if it you could also add a few little fried bread cruton's to decorate the plate and lift the dish you are making by adding a different texture.

Likes (0)

#83 Fri 08 Jun 12 10:02am

Aleksandr_K

Member since Fri 08 Jun 12

Hi, Jamie!
Sorry for bothering you. Actualy I knew about your art not long ago. I've been really impressed by your aptitude your extraordinary skills. But this story not about my attitude particularly.
I'd like to ask you a question. I know about you every year training for those how are take delight in cooking. The chance for those how crazy the idea of fascinating people making their mouth most watering by cooking. The chance how can enlarge their abilities.  I speak about my wife. She enjoy cooking as long as I know her. Especially not ordinary meals but extraordinary. She speaks about cooking all the time. But she have no opportunely to be an extraordinary chef in our country. She has always dreamed to be a part of your team. Please tell me is it possible if she take part in your project where you teach young people every year? 
My be this letter wouldn't  be answered but it's chance.

Thanks anyway.

Likes (0)

#84 Fri 08 Jun 12 8:55pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

maddimouse wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I am growing salad on my balcony, only trouble is there will be tons of lettuce and romaine lettuce and we´re only two people!

Apart from giving it away to friends etc., do you have any suggestions what to do with it apart from using it for a salad? I haven´t used salads as a ingredient for cooked dishes, any ideas on the different sorts of salads?

It´s the first year I am using my balcony for growing fruit, veg and herbs properly, and you have been my inspiration to just give it a try! I am enjoying myself so much, first thing in the morning is looking out the window to see what´s happened over night!

Thanx alot!

Maddi
xx

depending on your taste, I would make kimchi - salad just as chinese cabbage can be fermented with lemon juice, garlic, sesame oil, chili flakes, paprika and other spices. it shouldnt take more than 2 days. then canned and used inside 3 weeks. check some korean cookbook ...

Likes (0)

#85 Fri 08 Jun 12 8:58pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Hi, Jamie.
I have a question too.
have you tried making cheese at home? I sometimes make curd cheese, but thats not quite the same. what would I need to make some decent hard cheese in home conditions? Does the equipment need a lot of space, cause I kind of dont have that...

Likes (0)

#86 Fri 08 Jun 12 11:48pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

maddimouse wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I am growing salad on my balcony, only trouble is there will be tons of lettuce and romaine lettuce and we´re only two people!

Apart from giving it away to friends etc., do you have any suggestions what to do with it apart from using it for a salad? I haven´t used salads as a ingredient for cooked dishes, any ideas on the different sorts of salads?

It´s the first year I am using my balcony for growing fruit, veg and herbs properly, and you have been my inspiration to just give it a try! I am enjoying myself so much, first thing in the morning is looking out the window to see what´s happened over night!

Thanx alot!

Maddi
xx

depending on your taste, I would make kimchi - salad just as chinese cabbage can be fermented with lemon juice, garlic, sesame oil, chili flakes, paprika and other spices. it shouldnt take more than 2 days. then canned and used inside 3 weeks. check some korean cookbook ...

+

French peas...
A few sliced small green onions, lettuce leaves sliced in longer, pepper.... chopped lardons (smoked or non smoked bacon) for more flavour...and as many peas as you want.. I usually throw in 250g..

Hints...
Tired lettuce is quickly revived soaked in luke warm water.
The best way to keep the leaves are in cellophane in the bottom of your fridge....also valid for bought herbs.

Likes (0)

#87 Sat 09 Jun 12 12:01am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Great minds Kye !
I was just about to write the same thing !

My grandma used to butter the inside of a lidded dish ( butter inside of lid also ) she than lined the fish with lettuce leaves and filled the middle of the dish with peas , more leaves on the top of the peas and the lid on the dish , these were then baked in the oven for a while whilst the meat was cooking.
You can use the outer lettuce leaves or as Kye says the tierd lettuce leaves for this.

Sometimes a bit of onion was added , sometimes a bit of ham or bacon but not often.

I used to look forward to those peas .
They cooked in the lidded dish , steamed by the liquid that came out from the lettuce as it cooked and the flavour was lovely.
I sometimes , but not too often cook peas like this.

Likes (0)

#88 Sat 09 Jun 12 12:09am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mummz, did you mean to say fish or dish?....i think that without knowing you have given a new recipe...with fish...throw in a little white wine and at the end a spoonful of thick cream  yummy Will try that soon thumbsup

Likes (0)

#89 Sat 09 Jun 12 12:08pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

wink  thumbsup that's a good way to change peas into something else

there is a campo neighbour that told me a recipe with the bacelli/pods (???) of peas an old aunt of hers made, there is a skin that has to be taken away inside the pods, how do you do that think I came across this soup(??) recipe on a french site or blog, I cannot remember ............. every time I throw away the empty pods I feel I'm wasting something good, the same with carrots' leaves
help  help

experts question

Likes (0)

#90 Sun 10 Jun 12 7:50am

Grimlee

Member since Sun 10 Jun 12

I have just been diagnosed with gallstones. They want to remove my Gallbladder but since i got out of hospital i've started eating a lot healthier and have not had another painful Gallbladder attack. I'm trying to find good foods and recipes to have a little more variety in my diet and ones that will help me look after my Gallbladder health.
I have found out that surgery is not necessary if you have Gallstones and that it is just the easy way out for doctors.
I would just like to find good low fat foods and recipes and am keen to find out more about good fats and bad fats. I would love any advice from anyone that knows the best places i could find good information on these subjects.
I also know excersize is important as well, which i do.
I look forward to any advice from people out there and would like to say "Hey guys look after your Gallbladder. It's painful". help

Likes (0)