Re: Ask me a cooking question

What's your earliest memory of food?

Likes (0)

#82 Thu 07 Jun 12 11:14am

marricked

Member since Thu 07 Jun 12

DCBlake wrote:

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a 21 year old with male with cooking as a hobby.  I'd want to learn how to make desserts and I'm thinking of making pie but I dont know how to bake. What kind of dessert are made by beginners. I'm thinking of pudding. Anyone has an easy recipe for pudding? And any advices for a successful first time at making pudding?

Hi DCBlake - I used this recipe about a year ago and everyone in my family loved it - and it is really easy and simple to follow! www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recip … f-puddings

Likes (0)

#83 Thu 07 Jun 12 11:15am

Debz13

Occupation Student
From Lancashire

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

Debz13 wrote:

Hi Jamie, im doing a course at college, VRQ in Professional Cookery, and have an exam coming up in a couple of weeks, 1 dish we have to include is poached egg on a crouton, how can i make this different ? everyone on the course is talking about there going to do a hollandaise sauce, but i want to something totally different and surprise Chef, any ideas would be very useful, thankyou in advance  big_smile
Debbie

How much time do you have prepare the dish? I have a really nice sauce recipe I could send you if you would like to try it?

Hi we have 3 hours to do 5 dishes, so probably could manage it if it doesnt take long
kind regards
Debz 13

Likes (0)

#84 Thu 07 Jun 12 11:33am

Ye Olde Cook

Hi Jamie,

A "back to basics" question(s) from me...

I'm currently perfecting the art of the perfect poached egg (both in cookedness and looks). What's your take on the following:

Pan - deep or shallow
Water - salted or unsalted, vinegar or plain
Whirlpool - yes or no
Insertion (ooh err!) - straight to pan, or into cup/saucer first
Timing (large egg) - ?

And any other tips? (eg, I'm currentlly putting the whole unbroken egg in for 20 secs, to start setting the albumen before breaking it)

Cheers!

big_smile

Likes (0)

#85 Thu 07 Jun 12 12:13pm

Debz13

Occupation Student
From Lancashire

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

Debz13 wrote:

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

How much time do you have prepare the dish? I have a really nice sauce recipe I could send you if you would like to try it?

Hi we have 3 hours to do 5 dishes, so probably could manage it if it doesnt take long
kind regards
Debz 13

you could double it if you need to. it evaporates to nothing. could I email it to you? my mom needs the computor you can go to my profile and you will see my email and send me your using that!

It says your email is private hun

Likes (0)

#86 Thu 07 Jun 12 12:17pm

Debz13

Occupation Student
From Lancashire

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

Debz13 wrote:

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

you could double it if you need to. it evaporates to nothing. could I email it to you? my mom needs the computor you can go to my profile and you will see my email and send me your using that!

It says your email is private hun

are you on facebook? I can send you a private message I think without being friends. I can do that on my phone!

Yeah im on facebook Debbie Ellison

Likes (0)

#87 Thu 07 Jun 12 12:30pm

Debz13

Occupation Student
From Lancashire

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

Debz13 wrote:

RebeccaBourhill wrote:

are you on facebook? I can send you a private message I think without being friends. I can do that on my phone!

Yeah im on facebook Debbie Ellison

if I may ask what is your profile pic?

Its the letter D on a chain, silver

Likes (0)

#88 Thu 07 Jun 12 1:09pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Rebecca and Debz you are not discrete, you should not display such infos. I advise you to delete your private details.

Likes (0)

#89 Thu 07 Jun 12 5:48pm

gaviota_uk

From London
Member since Sun 08 Aug 04

jamie wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all of the great work that you do here on the forums helping each other and making this a great website to be a part of. I want to help out as well so I have started this thread to answer any cooking questions that you may have. I can't promise that I will be able to answer all of them but I will give it my best shot! So ask away....

Nice one

Jamie x

Hello Jamie

Have you got a recipe for honeycomb that doesn't involve golden syrup? I am after an acceptable substitute as I'm keen to make it in Argentina where golden syrup is not commercially available.

Many thanks!!!!

Gaby

Last edited by gaviota_uk (Thu 07 Jun 12 5:50pm)

Likes (0)

#90 Thu 07 Jun 12 7:11pm

Nickes

From Sweden
Member since Sun 02 May 10

Hi there!

It´s a bit embarrassing to confess for a swede (originating from the vikings and all that...), but I have never gone further then just barely open the can with surströmming, fermented Baltic herring. Several summers I have tried to convince myself and build up my confidence; it´s not that bad, but it is! The smell is indescribable. Your brain just say stop!

I saw you eating surströmming when you did a episode in Stockholm a few years ago. What´s the trick? Putting a clothes peg over your nose?

It´s a bit sad because it´s a very unique product from northern Sweden and I´m a big fan of traditions.  If I just can get it into my mouth I´m sure it tastes delicious! Any recommendations on how to serve it to make it a bit more neutral?

Any way, this august I will force my self to try it, fingers crossed... 

Cheers!

Likes (0)