forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 14 Jun 12 5:47am

kiwigill

Member since Thu 14 Jun 12

chicken tikka

Hi just made chicken tikka using just one of my chillies from the garden - boy is it hot - how can I best cool it down? yikes

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 14 Jun 12 7:18am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: chicken tikka

Yoghurt!
It is fat that will help, so maybe ghee or butter.

Hope you survive! smile  crossed

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 14 Jun 12 9:53am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

something sweet can help as well.. A Mango lassi would be great, you get the sweet from the mango and benefit of dairy from the yogurt as well. If you really want something to add to the curry though, a bit of brown sugar will help.  It may change the flavour though.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#4 Fri 15 Jun 12 11:11am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

From my site:

"When Chilis are too Hot

How do you deal with a burning mouth from a very hot chili pepper?

Capsaicin is not soluble in water, therefore however much water or beer you may drink, the burning sensation lingers. Water or beer only temporarily relieves the burning whilst you are drinking it but once you stop the hot flames return.  Instead of water or beer, try a milk or a milk based product that contains cream or oil (capasaicin is oil soluble). Yoghurt is good as is coconut milk. For some people a full bodied red wine helps rather than a white wine. Chewing and swallowing mouthfuls of plain warm rice is another way to wipe away traces of capsaicin in your mouth; or better still, rice mixed with sauce from none spicey stir fried vegetables as it contains some oil.

My thanks to Kasma Loha-unchit for providing the basic information"

http://freebeerforyorky.com/scoville.htm

Recently, I have been adding yoghurt to almost all my basic Indian curries as a matter of course. Not necessarily to reduce the heat of the dish but to take the edge of the chili taste. It works for me. You could also use cream and end up with Tikka Masala if you wish (cream is virtually impossible to get here).

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 15 Jun 12 11:28am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

My wife came back from the market yesterday evening with what I believed were pepperoncini chilis (although I've not seen them here before). I explained to her that the taste was good but there was no heat in them and took a large bite to prove the point. Oh dear, oh dear. I think they are green tabasco!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 15 Jun 12 11:47am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

Although they look a little pale for tabasco. Anaheim maybe?

http://freebeerforyorky.com/images/greentabasco.jpg

Last edited by beerforyorky (Fri 15 Jun 12 11:59am)

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 15 Jun 12 1:43pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

could be a pale  anaheim  from the picture but they wouldn't have much heat at all if they were.   of course my heat scale is somewhat warped, anything under a couple hundred thousand scoville doesn't really get my attention anymore.

just out of curiosity can you give us something to judge scale on the ones in the picture?

I forgot you were in thailand, they could be thai bird peppers or even serrano or superchiles depending on the size

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 15 Jun 12 1:57pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Fri 15 Jun 12 2:17pm

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

They are around 9" (220 mm long). They are not anywhere near the heat of prik kee noo (bird chilis) but still give you a kick biting into them raw.

And then there are these:

http://freebeerforyorky.com/hotchilis.html

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 20 Jun 12 10:54am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

FYI, the literal translation of "prik kee noo" is "chili ***** mouse". Known as chili paddy in Malaysia.

http://freebeerforyorky.com/peppers/pepper-5.html

Cheers

Y

*feces

Edited because my word is apparently offensive.

Last edited by beerforyorky (Wed 20 Jun 12 10:58am)

Likes (0)