forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 07 Sep 12 2:44pm

Bettsie_Darling

From Hampshire
Member since Tue 27 Mar 12

Vegan recipes

Good afternoon Jamie

I love your shows and cookbooks and your passion for food.
Here comes the but....
I'm vegan and I would love it for you to make a few dishes or a series for vegan maybe vegetarian but mostly vegan. Or just some ideas on here (nothing Oriental/Japanese I've mastered that)

Pretty please

Bettsie

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 07 Sep 12 9:35pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Vegan recipes

I'm sure you can take lots of Jamie's recipes and alter them to be vegan.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 17 Sep 12 7:52pm

VampireJack

Member since Sat 25 Oct 08

I agree with Betsie, as a vegan myself I would love a "top" chef to actually release a vegan cook book, to really prove themselves, and show the world that vegan friendly food is just as good as "omni" food.
Jamie, Gordon, Marco - the challenge is on.....

It's easy for a big name chef to release a vegetarian friendly cookbook - chuck some eggs and cheese in and you're done. But, let's see what you can do with a VEGAN cookbook.

Go on - dare ya...... yikes

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 Sep 12 12:42pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'd like a chef/good cookery writer to write a cook book (with appropriate advice from a dietitian of course) for one or other of the diets that people have to be on because they get ill otherwise. You know before they go in for diets of choice. But given that these markets are as small or smaller than the vegan market it's unlikely. hmm

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 Sep 12 2:36pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

VampireJack wrote:

I agree with Betsie, as a vegan myself I would love a "top" chef to actually release a vegan cook book, to really prove themselves, and show the world that vegan friendly food is just as good as "omni" food.
Jamie, Gordon, Marco - the challenge is on.....

It's easy for a big name chef to release a vegetarian friendly cookbook - chuck some eggs and cheese in and you're done. But, let's see what you can do with a VEGAN cookbook.

Go on - dare ya...... yikes

Hmm, I guess they would do it if they believed that vegan food is as good as "omni" food.  I don't think it is and they probably don't think so either.  That's like daring U2 to sing Polish rap songs just to see if they can do it.  It's like asking the American president to govern Guatemala.  It's like asking Toyota to make cereal.  It's like asking your dentist to give you a facelift.  Jamie is going to cook food that he knows and enjoys, why dare him to do something different?  I'm sure there are vegan chefs that specialize in vegan cookbooks, should I go pester them and say "let's see what you can do with a chicken breast, I dare ya."

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 19 Sep 12 4:16pm

AudioCoffee

Occupation Internet Radio Show Presenter
From Stockport
Member since Mon 03 Oct 05

I've recently veganised a bread & butter pudding recipe I saw on the food network channel. Needless to say, not only is it good, it's.... beyond awesome. (I'm still eating the test run because I stupidly over guesstimated the ingredients OOPS!)
But... this should feed 6 (I'm being optimistic)

Some wholemeal bread
Silken tofu (drained)
wysoy cream (or similar)
2 or three good tablespoons of billingtons molasses sugar (any really dark sugar works well, but not demerara as it's too close to white sugar)
2 seriously ripened bananas (almost black if possible - they taste much better at that stage than when yellow)
1 tablespoon vegetable spread (vitalite/pure as long as it's vegetable based)
A handful of alcohol soaked sultanas (optional!!!)

put the tofu and the cream into a mixing bowl and blend until thoroughly mixed. Break wholemeal bread up into the mix and stir in well as the bread needs to soak up the liquid.
In a pan, put the sugar and veg fat until fat has dissolved into the sugar. Add the banana in pieces and cook until banana starts to break up.

Now the good part. :-D

Blend the bananary sugary mix into the bowl with the cream/tofu/bread (seriously, it HAS to be wholemeal, not white - never white...!!!) and stir until thoroughly mixed together - a good time to add those alcohol soaked sultanas too!

Grease a good size glass oven-proof dish and pour the mixture into it. Put on a medium heat for approx 40-50 minutes or until the top is crispy.

Serve with either soy cream (or similar) or dairy free custard. Insert face.

Also working on a fried version of southern style tofu - for fun!

But that's me.. I sit here and channel my inner vegan. I have one added extra complication though, for me, it's got to be low-fat (or as close to that as possible)
I find workarounds and I'm good!
My vegan pancakes, gingerbread, hotpot & dumplings on top of home-made soups are legends in their own right :-D
(especially the gingerbread... I do magic with gingerbread!)

Likes (0)