Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 25 Sep 12 3:38am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Just Desserts!

We have a great supper thread, but not one for just desserts! I had a fabulous dessert tonight and wanted to share. This was so easy and so good. I got the idea from an issue of Southern Living magazine. I changed it up a bit for my taste.  The one in their magazine used macadamia nuts and a ginger/orange glaze. This is my spin on it ( a wee bit more southern):

2 pears, peeled and cored (leave about an inch on towards the top and the stem)
2 tsps light brown sugar
2 tsps butter (cut in small pieces)
2 tsps chopped pecans
1 pie crust sheet divided in 2
1 egg (eggwash)

Mix sugar, butter and pecans. Pack the mix into the pears. Wrap the pears in the pie crust leaving the stem peeking out of the top. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Serve with caramel sauce.

For the sauce I used equal parts light brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and pecans. I cooked on medium high for about 5 minutes.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 25 Sep 12 9:56am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Just Desserts!

Awesome idea..  Is this just a report what we had thing or  should we be including  recipes ?

Sunday night we had some of the last homemade Vanilla icecream we made a few weeks back.. So much better than just about any storebought icecream that is now available. 

Is it just my tastebuds or has  storebought IceCream in general gone downhill fast in the past 5 or so years?  So much of it now has some kind of powdered methy blah blah cellulose crap added.  Anything with Cellulose as part of the name invariable is made from woodpulp.    IceCream shouldn't be made from woodpulp.  evil  evil  evil

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#3 Tue 25 Sep 12 3:05pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

Either way Ashen, if you have a recipe add it.....if not just say what you had.

I LOVE home made ice cream. I don't make it often enough. Maybe this weekend I'm off.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 25 Sep 12 4:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

This was the first time I've used a gluten-free cake mix.   This cake would probably be good with a little sour cream in the batter.

Note:  Fill smaller molds about 3/4 full.  I baked mine in a Calphalon mold that makes one dozen - 1" deep, 3 inch square cakes for about 20 - 25 minutes.

Gluten-Free Poppy Seed, Orange and Almond Cake

1 pkg. gluten-free vanilla cake mix (enough for 1 - 8 inch round cake pan)
170 g. butter (6 T.) softened
3 eggs
100 g. (4 ounces) no-fat Greek yogurt
.11 Liters (4 ounces) Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
Finely Grated Zest of 1 - 2 Large Oranges
24 g. (1/4 Cup) Almond Flour
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Finely Grated Lemon Zest
3 Generous Tablespoons of Poppy Seed Filling or Dry Poppy Seeds
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract

Preheat the oven to 175 C. or 350 F.  Grease cake mold with oil.  Cream 1/2 Cup of the cake mix with softened butter in an electric mixer on high for 2 minutes.  Add the other ingredients and beat on low for 30 seconds.  Scrape bowl thoroughly.  Beat on high for 3 minutes.  Fill prepared cake pan and bake until a knife comes out mostly clean, about 35 - 40 minutes.  Cool ten minutes before removing from pan.

Combine:
Confectioner's sugar, orange juice and zest to form a thick glaze.  Pour over cooled cake.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 25 Sep 12 7:11pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Have you made those Gluten-free Treacle Puds yet MsP? (as per my fb photo re 'The Moorend Spout'?)
I would to love to know if they work.

One of my faves at the mo is a puff pastry square with a dollop of lemon curd in the middle & an Apricot half on top, & then cut/folded to make a pinwheel shape. Glazed with Apricot jam & dusted when cooked & puffed up with icing sugar.
It's delish as a cake with coffee or with a blob of ice-cream or clotted cream as a dessert.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 25 Sep 12 7:22pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

I love to make this dessert on the bbq fire:

Grill two slices (about 1 cm each) of pineapple per person.

In the meantime, mix some pure yoghurt with as much honey as you wish.

As soon as the pineapple slices are hot and have taken some colour, put them on a plate and pour the yoghurt over them.

This is so plain and simple, and is so absolutely lovely!

What also works:
Chop several fruit in pieces about 2x2x2 cm.
Make a bowl from double aluminium foil.
Put the fruit in
Drizzle with a little olive oil, fresh ground black pepper and some alocohol, if you wish (rum, liquer etc.)
Close the bowl and put it on the grill or directly on the charcoal.

In the meantime, mix some yoghurt (see above).

As soon as the fruit is done, right on a plate, yoghurt on top, maybe some finely chopped fresh mint, off you go!

Getting hungry now!  lol

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 26 Sep 12 4:18pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

One of my favourites - quick and easy banana ice cream:

Peel and freeze some bananas.  When you feel like ice-cream, put a frozen banana in a food processor (one per head), and add some double cream.  Blitz until it becomes smooth.  Put into a bowl, and eat immediately.  Absolutely heavenly!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 01 Oct 12 3:21am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

In a fix I've taken coconut milk, almond milk, and fresh pineapple put threw the blender and pop it in the freezer for a yummy frozen treat.

The last few days I've eaten fresh raspberries and blackberries with cream. MMMM

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 01 Oct 12 4:07pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

A recent favorite 'smoothie' was apple, peanut butter and banana with a little sugar blended with low-fat milk.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 01 Oct 12 6:49pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

I just made a batch of white chocolate pecan cookies for work.

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking poweder
1 cup flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

cream butter and both sugars together. Add vanilla, baking powder and egg. Mix. Add pecans and chips completely incorporate t hen add flour. It made 2 dozens. I baked at 350 for 14 minutes.

Likes (0)