forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 26 Sep 12 9:15pm

hguk

Member since Thu 12 Jul 12

hydroponic food

Has anyone ever tasted hydroponic home grown fruit and veg, (see recent blogs)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 27 Sep 12 2:43am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: hydroponic food

Nope! I knew people who were into it, but never got to taste!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 27 Sep 12 1:40pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I saw an exhibit in Holland - growing hydroponic bell peppers from one of the world's top producers.  Everything was automated, very clean and the plants were healthy.  I've bought hydroponically grown food (those bell peppers from Holland are sold here and they are perfect, but expensive).

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 27 Sep 12 3:07pm

hguk

The bell type peppers did really well in hydroponics, some of the smaller ones though, tepin for instance, did seem to struggle. Problem with the peppers this year was the weather, we grew some weighing over 1/2 lb., but very little ripened off, so we did not really get to eat them at their best, still a chance though with a bit more sun. Tomatoes , strawberries and herbs excelled though, can't wait for a good summer.lol.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 27 Sep 12 9:41pm

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

You got peppers to grow?! My tomatoes and peppers never get close to that! How did YOU do it? Seems like I have tried everything.

hguk wrote:

The bell type peppers did really well in hydroponics, some of the smaller ones though, tepin for instance, did seem to struggle. Problem with the peppers this year was the weather, we grew some weighing over 1/2 lb., but very little ripened off, so we did not really get to eat them at their best, still a chance though with a bit more sun. Tomatoes , strawberries and herbs excelled though, can't wait for a good summer.lol.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 28 Sep 12 6:45pm

hguk

To be honest I'm no gardener, but I have a good knowledge of hydroponics.
All of the tomatoes and peppers were planted as seeds on 1st May,
We do use a greenhouse but with no heating, we suffered temperatures as low as 3 Celsius, and at times off the thermometer, at over 50 degrees, conditions were far from ideal.
The success we put down entirely to the hydroponic system we used. Contrary to popular belief hydroponics is far simpler than conventional growing in soil, roots are always at right temperature (heating cable), it is impossible to overwater or underwater, p.h is kept right, and everything else looks after itself.
To find out more check on recent blog hydroponic food.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 29 Sep 12 2:22pm

hguk

Hi mspablo,
If you really want to grow hydroponically am more than happy to send you some info on how to make a d.i.y. system. Email me on webmail through our website, should be on blog showing green russian tomatoes as pic.
Regards
HGUK

Likes (0)