forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 30 Oct 12 11:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

What influences you when you shop in the supermarket ?

I thought a discussion on what influences us with the supermarket shopping maight be interesting...

Over the last 20 years our high streets in the UK have changes considerably , for the most part , gone are the small buisnesses that used to be such a familiar sight .
Fishmongers, Butchers , Greengrocers ,Bakers and even the corner shops ,have largly disapeared and more and ore areas have to rely on one of the larger supermarket chains to do their shopping .
I am not saying that in some areas these smaller shops can not be found but I am talking generally as to what has happened on the high street.

Supermarkets are baffling places with rows upon rows of products and offers .

Do you always check out the offers in the supermarket or if you are doing an online shop , I know that I do and I ofte get led astray and purchase what is on offer but only if its a pproduct that I use.

Over the past year I have been using an online supermaket shop and I found at first that I saved quite a bit of money by doing this but gradually I find I have been spending more.
This is in part due to the products being increased in price and part as I have now got used to the system of shopping online and know what section of the website to find things in.

I have noticed that if I do a quick top-up shop by visiting the supermarket then having those packages and offers in frount of my eyes means that I look at them more and I therefre tend to impulse shop more.

Supermarkets , wether online or by visiting the shop are full of all manner of product and the prices that are displayed are often quite confusing .
I am quite picky when it comes to buying things like fruit and veg , if I buy online then I tend to go for one of the organic vegetable boxes so thats easy , I always check the contents of the box but if I am in the supermarket and need to buy a fruit and vegetable item from a supermarket I find the prices are sometimes hard to get to grips with. Supermarkets seem to have a variety of pricing structures, buying prepacked might be one price, buying loose items another, sone products are priced indervidually some by 100g amounts, some by Kilogram amounts and so it is not always easy to quickly work out the price of what you are buying.

Do you get influenced at all the bright and aractive packaging , of brand names , of special offers ?
Do you shop with a list or think about what you are needing to buy before you go to the supermarket , or, maybe you just go along to the supermarket as things have run low in your fridges and cupboards and need replenishing and soo just go along to see what is there to buy.

I'm not great at following lists and I do tend to now pretty much what is in the cupboard if I have put it away , but if my daring has been putting things away ( never in the same place twice !) or moving things around in the pantry for whatever reason I find that I get a bit muddled and sometimes then will overbuy a product as it is already on my pantry shelf.

so with me ...I do sometimes get seduced into buying the supermarket offers , but much less if I shop on line .
I tend to buy the same well tried and tested probucts that I know are reliable and that taste good.
I tend to get confused with the pricing structure annd this sometimes leads to me spending more that I needed to.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 30 Oct 12 12:56pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: What influences you when you shop in the supermarket ?

I really only shop in the fruit, vegetable, dairy, fish, meat and tea/coffee aisles (with a quick side visit to eggs  wink  ), but I often get tempted by packaged organic meat and vegetables, and end up buying way too much (which then gets turned into soup for the freezer, so at least doesn't go to waste).  I've found that, since I've stopped visiting the other aisles, even though I am buying the more expensive foods my bills have gone down because there is, overall, less temptation.  It's only when I go shopping with my children and give in to the pleas for some crisps or some gluten-free biscuits or jams that my bills go up again. 

Where possible, I tend to buy as local as possible - meat from my butcher over meat from the supermarket - and organic when I can, so I'm not heading for the cheap stuff, but by cutting out any type of processed foods from our diet (and not making replacements for the baked goods!), it works out that there is less temptation and therefore we spend less overall  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 30 Oct 12 1:37pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I am an advertisers nightmare...........I hate the over-packaged, the bright & shiny, the 'banner' branding.........loathe plastic-wrap, styrofoam & mimsy little 100g this & that......I blow a gasket at 'christmas' in October, 'easter' in January & 'summer' in March..........as for 'halloween' in September, 'Grandma's Day', & anything to do with St.Patrick (this is ENGLAND people, not Ireland!)......GAH! I say, GAH!!!!

I never food-shop on line..........hey, I never shop for 'Christmas' gifts online either......it feels too detached to me (though I accept that for the housebound, ill & infirm it is a wonderful concept).........mind I still have access to a multitude of family butchers amongst other small shops, & a 100-stall market 3 days a week.

I do however like 'bargains', offers, & bulk buys in some commodities.
I like the choices between brands, being able to pick healthier options, a raft of exotic/foreign ingredients I used to have difficulty finding & the occasional treat that I don't have to bake myself because they bake it in-store.

I don't find supermarkets baffling. I am not tempted by their tricks or treats very often, & no.....I don't shop with a list (though I do go through all my cupboards/fridge/freezers prior to shopping) because I cook to whatever looks good/is a bargain on the day.

I am keen on economy, but not over quality.
I would say that I am a savvy cook/shopper, not a frugal one these days.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 30 Oct 12 3:10pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I don't know how your supermarkets are set up over there....I shop the perimeter. Produce, meat, seafood, dairy, etc are all along the outside, that is where I do most of my shopping. I only go down the aisles I need for items like rice, dried beans. I never go down each aisle. Most often I know what I am needing before I go.  I do look for specials on items I use, even if it is a different brand I may buy it if the deal is good like a buy 1 get 1 free.  Also, I tend to buy meat and produce on an as need basis.  Very rarely do I buy loads to freeze.  So, when it comes to those items I tend to stop at the grocer on my way home from work and buy the meat and veg I need for the night and maybe for the next day. Mostly, that depends on my work schedule. If I have to work a mid shift or a night shift I cook for a few days and bring the left overs to work.  There are a few items I keep on hand rice, grits, oatmeal, flour, sugar, dried beans and a few cans of beans.  I buy very few packages items, except for the ones listed above and the occasional box of cereal (sometimes you just need Corn Pops).  My shopping has changed since the kids' moved out.  Then I had to buy more stuff to stock for when I wasn't home they could do for themselves.  I spend more money now, but buy less food. The quality is better though. No more packaged ramen noodles or mac n cheese...bleh.

I get most influenced by what is fresh and on sale (but only if it's something I use anyway.)

Having moved to a new area where it will snow, I have decided I probably should stock up for the winter for those days that I can't get out.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 30 Oct 12 3:43pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I would love to shop in the green grocers, butchers, outdoor markets, cheese shops - but around here - the best options are farm markets and farm stands when local produce is in season and specialty small groceries - an organic market and Trader Joes are ones we use often because combining them gives us the best range of organic, quality and price.

I don't like the size of the supermarkets, the glaring ads, excess packaging, the tacky holiday stuff.  It's not as pleasant a shopping experience as the other shops we use, but we use it for some things to save money.

The grocery delivery service I've used has much nicer products and they are handled quite well, so that was a great service for when I wasn't able to shop because of an injury.  They offered free service a few times to us when I needed the service, but I haven't been impressed enough to use it at other times for a fee.  I liked working out the list online and having them suggest products I like that are on sale.  It's the way most people shop here anyway, by sales, so they perfectly geared that advertising to me (organic, gluten-free, etc.) and they gave me a break on price on items I normally buy, it seemed, which I liked.  But, you do have to watch the price on other items as they can be higher than the stores.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 30 Oct 12 4:33pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I'm very very suspicious about offers and when waiting to be served at the "affettati" (prociutto, speck, cheese) counter at the supermarket I hear the vendors ask each cliente about an offer "Vuole dell'insalata capricciosa, in offerta" many many times ..... and noone seems to want that just that day shocked  hmm
I do not like to be directed while choosing my menu, the day I feel like that I say to the fishmonger how many we are at table and ask her to suggest what she has best for a lunch or supper, she even cares about my spending not toomuch thumbsup
As Minni said before I also care a lot about freshness and semplicitÓ, rather than packaging and buy me! alerts

the time I bought something advertised by TV, promising a happy family lunch ...... well after saying how much it costed it turned out into a disaster of supper sad  hmm  oops  help  lol

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 30 Oct 12 4:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I'm lucky to have a super market, several vegetable markets, italian grocer, bakeries, fishmonger, pastry shops, butchers and even a balkan grocer within 2 blocks walking distance from my house. 

I shop every day for food, by walking down to the market and picking up groceries just for the day.  It's not the most economical way to shop but it keeps me physically active, keeps groceries from spoiling in my fridge and allows flexibility in menu planning.

I prefer certain brands of butter, dairy, coffee etc so I don't care much for market specials even if they are considerably lower in price.  I buy Kerrygold butter for instance, and no discount can sway me to buy a bargain brand.  If I do that, that butter will probably sit in my fridge until it goes rancid and I'll avoid it at all costs most likely.  I do wish I worked harder at finding coupons for the things I buy though.

I also go to Costco for staples like napkins, certain cheeses and meats.  Buying in bulk on items that don't go bad is a life saver for us.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 30 Oct 12 7:10pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

price, discount, but still only what I actually eat. That is vegetables, grains, eggs, quark, bread. sometimes nuts and seeds. and coffee. so although i might walk all the isles ( and check the latest Burda on the magazine shelf) I only pick up what I need at the moment IF it has a good price. If what I need is not on sale, I can go without till it is or find it somewhere else. I rarely buy anything extravagant or unecessary, I usually dont even have money to buy anything from a supermarket. everything is triple the price compared to market.... I can make some stuff that is often on sale myself - have uncle smoke my fish, make my own wholegrain bread and natural yoghurt or cream cheese, grow salads on a window and sprout some green onions... and herbs.  I buy my stuff at the local "open  market"  or whatever you call it there. not really farmers┤ market, more like kiosks for everything plus some halls for fish or veggies or stuff [meat, where I dont even go neigh)
since I think the best before concept is nonsense when the food hasnt actually gone off, I buy a lot from kiosks at the market place that sell "past the date" items. or just products removed from sales with the date coming close. Since otherwise I would probably not eat yoghurt, quark or ketchup.
I mean I am not the worst off. I can buy the basics, but not things like sauces, smoked fish, instant coffee, quark desserts (kohuke) or quality cheese. I would never go as far as just buy macaroni and live on that and white bread which is cheapest, I need veggies and some fish. But I would love to buy ice cream or some raisins or walnujts sometimes.  or not the cheapest kind of coffee...

Fortunately my mom┤s Biomarket gives lots of things to the workers for free so I get seeds for sprouting, dried fruit, some curious grains, Fair Trade coffee beans and grape-, pumpkin-, sesame and other oils from there.

Last edited by RedfoxEstonia (Tue 30 Oct 12 7:19pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 30 Oct 12 10:40pm

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

minerva wrote:

I am an advertisers nightmare...........I hate the over-packaged, the bright & shiny, the 'banner' branding.........loathe plastic-wrap, styrofoam & mimsy little 100g this & that......I blow a gasket at 'christmas' in October, 'easter' in January & 'summer' in March..........as for 'halloween' in September, 'Grandma's Day', & anything to do with St.Patrick (this is ENGLAND people, not Ireland!)......GAH! I say, GAH!!!!

I never food-shop on line..........hey, I never shop for 'Christmas' gifts online either......I do however like 'bargains', offers, & bulk buys in some commodities.
I like the choices between brands, being able to pick healthier options, a raft of exotic/foreign ingredients I used to have difficulty finding & the occasional treat that I don't have to bake myself because they bake it in-store.

I am keen on economy, but not over quality.
I would say that I am a savvy cook/shopper, not a frugal one these days.

All of that for me, Minerva!  Nothing like Halloween in September or Christmas in October to bug me.

I do prefer a good sale, and I have several store-loyalty cards.

One store has a deal with an oil company: get so many points, and I can fill my car with gas.  Why am I not in on it?  Because I have to buy so much stuff for ONE measly point.

I can contribute to a favorite school with one of my store cards.  My Vons card is linked with eScrip, and nearly all of my purchases there means contributions to that school.

Likes (0)