forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 01 Nov 12 7:02pm

Gemini99

Member since Thu 01 Nov 12

Apple Chutney

Help! 

The spice in my spiced apple chutney is gritty, despite me following the recipe exactly.  Could someone please tell me why is this? 

It tastes wonderful otherwise.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 01 Nov 12 8:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Apple Chutney

welcome to the forum Gemini99  smile

Thats iteresting !

I have never heard of the soice going gritty.. do you mean the texture of what you are eating of is it just that yu can see little bits if the spiices used ?

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 03 Nov 12 4:17pm

Gemini99

Thank you for the welcome and the reply Mummza.

It's the texture.  I can feel the spice powder.   sad

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 04 Nov 12 2:08am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It must just have been ground too coarsely Gemini  sad
Maybe you can think of it as extra authentic because in times past it would have been very heard to grind the spices super fine. You might also find that it gets a bit less gritty as it sits. I hope so anyway!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 04 Nov 12 2:30pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I also would think that the spice powder has been ground a bit coarsely , spices seeds, bits of bark etc and so generally quite a woody texture before they get ground . If you have ground the spices yourself, I think when you make the chutney again you will need to grind them finer, but if you have bought them then it might be worth buying a different brand next time.
I am sure the chutney will still taste nice and the flavour will improve a bit as its kept , it might be that you only really notice the gritty texture on the first few times that you eat the chutney as you will then start to focus more on the marvalous taste . thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Nov 12 11:26am

Gemini99

Thank you both for your help. 

That makes sense, especially as I cooked it for nearly 2 hours. They are bought spices - an authentic Indian brand.  I  hope the waiting time will help.  If not never mind, the main texture is perfect and it tastes really good.  smile

Last edited by Gemini99 (Mon 05 Nov 12 11:27am)

Likes (0)

#7 Yesterday 5:35am

stregal

Member since Wed 17 Sep 14

This is an oldish thread...

There is a difference between grainy and gritty.

My chutneys get gritty. I find it unpleasant and as I sometimes sell or gift them I want to avoid it. I don't think it's the spice itself because although they don't dissolve, they would soften over time. I think it's dirt particles from inadequate cleaning during processing. I am sure of this because chewing doesn't break it down.

Maybe next time I'll boil the mixture for a bit then let it settle, then transfer it to another pan to thicken, and not scrape the bottom of the pan. Or I'll boil the spices in some of the water and decant it and then add the water to the mixture. It'll be interesting to see what's at the bottom then! hmm

Last edited by stregal (Yesterday 5:49am)

Likes (0)

#8 Yesterday 9:25am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Welcome to the forum stregal  smile

I'm not sure about your theory of inadequate cleaning off the fruit as for apple chutney and quite a lot of other chutneys the fruit gets peeled .

I am about to make some pear chutney as I've been given a lot of very small hard pears. I'm expecting that to have a grittier texture than the apple chutney I made due to how the pears are . I know I'm not looking forward to peeling these pears and so an likely to make the chutney in small batches.

I'm looking for a recipe that I think my family will enjoy .
Pear chutney recipes don't seem to be as popular as apple chutney recipes so I might end up making the pear chutney with a variation of an apple chutney recipe but altering the spices that I use .

Likes (0)