forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Nov 12 8:06am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Braising Steak

In the UK we had (and still have probably) "braising steak". Here we have beef. I would like to try braising some beef. Is there any particular cut I should ask for? I shall need to point to a part of my body or take along a graphic.

Note: all the cuts of beef are virtually the same price per kilogramme.

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Nov 12 8:49am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Braising Steak

I think it comes from the higher shoulder area of the cow braising steak usually has a bit of fat with it .

Another cut that braises well although does not have much fat and has long thicker fibers to the meat is flank .
This I think comes from the lower side of the cow toward the back of the cow . ( almost underneath ) .
My family love braised flank steak . I think they prefer the taste to braising steak .

(I don't eat meat myself but cook it for my family .)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Nov 12 10:15am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Or brisket - from the dangly bit between the front legs.

The FRONT legs. Don't be confused.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 28 Nov 12 7:18am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

hippytea wrote:

Or brisket - from the dangly bit between the front legs.

The FRONT legs. Don't be confused.

lol  lol  lol

It may be difficult to order cuts from between the front legs by pointing to my own body!

But cheers, I'll give the belly area a go.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 28 Nov 12 7:25am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Brisket is a pretty fatty joint , it's something I usually slow roast rather than braise for that reason .
It can be braised but you have to skim off the great layer if fat that floats on the top of the meat juices before it can be used . ( when I braised the brisket it ended up several centimetres deep ) brisket also seems to shrink greatly when braised .
I have braised it twice but slow roasted it many times .

If I were you I would go for pointing at the high  shoulder area if you needed to point as that's roughly the area braising steak comes from as far as I know . It will have less fat on if than brisket.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 28 Nov 12 7:28am)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 28 Nov 12 9:18am

hippytea

From Scotland

You could print out a picture of a cow, or even one of those diagrams with the different cuts on it, and point. Of course, that depends on whoever is selling you the meat having some butchery knowledge!

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 02 Dec 12 8:22am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

hippytea wrote:

You could print out a picture of a cow, or even one of those diagrams with the different cuts on it, and point. Of course, that depends on whoever is selling you the meat having some butchery knowledge!

I bought a piece of what they call "top round" here which I always consider is rump. I put it in my slow cooker for 6 hours with carrots, onions and Oxo. The result was only acceptable (very little taste). I had it with mashed potatoes yesterday evening but tonight I shall eat the remainder with bubble and squeak.

I now have a diagram on disk; I shall print it out and take it with me next time.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 02 Dec 12 4:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

The cut you bought would have been better for roasting.
I bought quite a large amount of flank beef yesterday , its a pretty lean flavourful cut . We had visitrs for supper and I put it in the slow cooker with
a chopped onion,
a few chopped sticks of celery ,
some herbs and a couple of bayleaves,
2 tins of tomatoes and some tomato pure,
salt and pepper  seasoning ,
spoonful of mustard and
a spoonful of redcurrant jelly and a pint of beer.
I slow cooked it all day and shortly before our freinds arrved I took ot a lot of the juices and reduced them in quantity by simmering the pan of juices in a saucepan.
the added the reduced quantity back into the slow cooker .

I am told that is was realy very very nice, but being vegetarian myself I have to rely on what they tell me.The gravy that came from the slow cooker was rich in flavour.
Must have been good as there was a huge bowl of it and they all has seconds ! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 02 Dec 12 4:28pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Maybe you could do it by eye, as if the cut looks fairly fatty then it tends to lend itself to braising.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 03 Dec 12 3:37pm

hippytea

From Scotland

I tend to avoid too much fat when braising, as it won't all render out and what's left goes rubbery. A bit of thin marbling is good, but anything more and I prefer to trim it.

For fatty cuts, a good hard browning helps it to render, though.

Likes (0)