forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Nov 12 8:15pm

TallulahP

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

Quick Question

Jamie always uses thawed meats and fish. I live too far to be able to pop to the shops to get some fresh meat, so must buy it and freeze it. How do you safetly defrost fish so you can cook it as Jamie describes? I am really not keen to let meat or fish thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and I don't use the microwave much (not keen on using one for health reasons), so any advice would be greately appreciated. Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Nov 12 10:43pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Quick Question

The only safe way of defrosting fish or meat is in the refrigerator. Defrost overnight for next day use.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Nov 12 8:57am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I just defrost in cold water in the sealed bag it came in.
If at all possible Try to plan your fish meals around your shopping trips so you can use the fresh fish.

"Thawing frozen fish in cold water is a faster way of defrosting fish
Thawing Time: 1 to 2 hour per pound"
http://www.thenewiceage.com/defrosting-your-frozen-fish

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Nov 12 12:12pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum TallulahP   smile

I agree with Kye, it's safest to defrost the fish in the refrigerator overnight.
Out of curiosity .. Why is it that you are not keen on doing this ?
It's so easy all you need to do is to put the fish onto a good sized plate ( so it does not hang over the edge , cover it with cling film and put it on a lower shelf on the refrigerator ( lower shelf just incase there is any leakage , and so that there is no chance of it dripping on anything else )

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 30 Nov 12 12:18pm

Ladybee1602

Member since Sat 24 Nov 12

I think TallulahP is saying she/he is not keen on using a micorwave for health reasons.  I can relate to that.  Wouldn't have one in the house.  Something not quite right about the technology, in my opinion.  puke

I rate microwaves up there with genetically modified canola and other foodstuffs.  It's going to be some years before we really see the ramifications of such things to human health.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 30 Nov 12 1:21pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Ladybee1602 wrote:

I think TallulahP is saying she/he is not keen on using a micorwave for health reasons.  I can relate to that.  Wouldn't have one in the house.  Something not quite right about the technology, in my opinion.  puke

I rate microwaves up there with genetically modified canola and other foodstuffs.  It's going to be some years before we really see the ramifications of such things to human health.

Bah humbug smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 30 Nov 12 1:36pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I defrost what little food I have frozen overnight/ for however long it takes in the refrigerator, as do Kye and Mummza.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Fri 30 Nov 12 4:23pm

TallulahP

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

I'm not keen on leaving meat or fish in the fridge because of the potential for bacteria to form, especially with fish.

I have tried defrosting in the microwave but found it almost cooked the meat. I use microwave sparingly, if at all.

I live out in the country and only do grocery shopping once every week or two weeks, and the local grocery shop doesn't sell fresh fish. I'd have to drive half an hour into the next town just to buy a piece of fresh fish, which isn't good use of petrol. So I buy frozen because then I don't have to worry if it doesn't get cooked right away. I can store food for the winter in case the roads get wicked with snow.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will try defrosting in water to see if that works for the fish. For minced beef I will try leaving overnight in the fridge. smile

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 30 Nov 12 4:42pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I either put in cold water or if I am in a hurry...I take it out of the package and hold it under cold running water until it is thawed.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 30 Nov 12 6:56pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Alton Brown did a thermal dynamics of thawing on Good Eats Season 3 Episode "What's up duck". In a nut shell he thawed it under cold water (slowly dripping) for quicker results and in the fridge for slower results.

Here's probably more info then you need on thawing seafood....
http://www.seafoodacademy.org/Documents … hawing.pdf

@ Coco  thumbsup

Likes (0)