Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 02 Dec 12 10:18pm

Antasto

Member since Sat 14 Jul 12

making vegetarian burgers

Hi all, I have recently tried this vegetarian burger recipe http://www.holycowvegan.net/2011/03/bea … rgers.html and I must admit this has so far been the best one in terms of taste and above all consistency: the burgers - please note there are no eggs in the recipe - hold together even when you cook them which is quite remarkable. Not sure if it is the oat that is doing all the magic.
ANyway, I would like to do an alternative version of the burger, probably without beans, something like:
-grated potatoes
-grated carrots
-grated courgettes
all mixed together. Needless to say I would like it to keep it eggs free, but I am not sure if the above ingredients will hold together, what do you reckon?
thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 03 Dec 12 8:42am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: making vegetarian burgers

Welcome to the forum Antasto  smile

I used to make a similar burger but I used cooked lentils as a base . I used a couple of types as I remember ,the 'green' lentils with a skin on gave texture , whilst the little orange split lentils were the 'binding agent ' as they cooked to a mush !

I don't have a recipe as I never followed one , its been around 20 years since I made them and all I can remover about it was cooking and cooling the lentils , combining them with spices and adding a few more things like fine chopped onions , tomato pure etc .

I know it was better if the veg I added were fine chopped and that the vegetables like mushrooms were pre cooked to reduce the water content.

If you are using courgette , I think you would be best to remove the seeded area of the vegetable . Before you chop or grate it.

Like the lentils , mashed potato I am sure would be a good base , I think it would be a good idea to precook the other vegetables that you choose to use.  You will need to cut any vegetables into small pieces as if the pieces are too large there would be more chance of your veggie burger breaking up.  I see your planning to grate them so this wouldn't be an issue.

Is your plan of grating and combining the veg to make the burger a bit like a potato Rosti ?
I think you might need to be careful of the amount of vegetable added as it won't stick together otherwise.
It's the starch in the potato that sticks the Rosti together . The only thing I sometimes add to the rosti's when I make them is a little chopped onion. 

I am wondering if it will work ( and i have not tried this ) if you use other grated veg ... Would a little gram flour hold things together.
I know when I make bajee's and pokora's I use  fine chopped veg or sliced onions the binding agent is the gram flour and this expands as soon as it hits the hot oil .

Let us know how things work out as you try them.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 04 Dec 12 6:14am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Antasto, with the ingredients you suggest, I think if potato dominated, and you cooked it slowly like rosti, it would hold together.

I have made a recipe from the Cranks restaurant cook book that uses fine bulgur as the base. I need to try it again as mine didn't hold together.... but it is meant to! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 04 Dec 12 10:29am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

My standby veggie burger recipe is based on butter beans, breadcrumbs and cheese. However, I recently made couscous cakes with leftover cooked couscous, and they were great - really hearty texture. I'm going to try using that as a base for veggie burgers some day. I bound with an egg, though, so not vegan.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 04 Dec 12 7:23pm

Antasto

I will try and see how it goes, hopefully the potatoes will do the trick

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 05 Dec 12 10:24am

Ferdinend

Member since Wed 05 Dec 12

Hi Antasto,
Very healthy and nutritious vegetarian burger recipe and will definitely try this as vegetables are great to reduce weight and boost immunity. Vegetabes stabilize blood pressure, prevent from diabetes, certain types of cancer and used to treat asthma, coughs, common colds and flu.

Last edited by Ferdinend (Wed 05 Dec 12 10:25am)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 05 Dec 12 8:50pm

Antasto

well tried that and actually it wasn't bad at all. Here's what I did:
-peeled and grated 4 small potatoes, 1 carrot and 1 courgette
-squeeze them as much as I could to get rid of the water
-mixed them, seasoned them and added a bit of oat bran
-divide the mixture in 4 small balls, flatten them on baking paper to look like patties and bake them in the oven for about 35-40 minutes
Afterwards I fried some eggs and put them on the top of the 4 patties and  cooked some lemon rice to go to the side of it, nice meal!

Likes (0)