forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 07 Dec 12 1:19pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

BACON HOCK

I'm getting angry!  JAMIE!  Do something, please, and get the supermarkets (all of them) to stock this wonderful item.  I want to make pea and ham soup and you'll have to agree that you must have the bone to get the better flavour.  Help please.  It's good old fashioned grub and I don't want to see it disappear from the supermarkets.  Can't get out currently so unable to find a decent butcher.
help

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 08 Dec 12 1:36pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Re: BACON HOCK

Thistledo

I use Morrisons for my weekly shop and more often than not, they have bacon hocks for sale. Unfortunately for what they are, they are always overpriced in my opinion.....about 2.50 to 3 each.

What I don't see anymore is bacon ribs. They make the most superb bacon and lentil soup. Beautiful hot, and the gelatinous content of the hock made the soup firm enough when cold to be able to be sliced with a knife. Maybe they remove the bones now BEFORE curing the belly pork into  streaky bacon?

Terry

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 08 Dec 12 5:00pm

Thistledo

Cannyfraddock.  Thanks for that input re Morrisons.  If only they delivered to our area!  I think the price you've seen 2.50-3 is about right.  Like everything else it's worth less.  Such a lot you can do with bacon hock.  I've actually looked on Morrisons website for groceries on line and they don't list it.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 Dec 12 1:01am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Thistledo , where in South Wales do you live ? There may be a local butcher that will get the ham hock in for you .

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 Dec 12 9:27am

Thistledo

Mummza, I am housebound so can't get out.  We've precious few butchers in the area but I could phone to make enquiries and maybe someone could pick it up for me.
Thanks.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 18 Dec 12 9:50am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Ok .. Where in South Wales are you ?

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 18 Dec 12 9:57am

Thistledo

Outskirts of Aberdare.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Dec 12 11:28am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Sorry , don't know the butchers near there . Your not too far away from me but too far from me (cardiff) but sadly to be able to drive these days .

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 18 Dec 12 11:58am

Thistledo

You're very kind Mummza and thanks for thinking of me.  One of our carers has just been in and she's kindly offered to suss out a bacon hock from a couple of butchers in the town.  People are generally kind in the main.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 03 Jan 13 2:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Saw some in Morrisons this morning Thistledo so if there is a Morrisons near where you live then that's a good place to look.

Likes (0)