forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 19 Dec 12 6:28pm

ndabbot

Member since Tue 14 Aug 12

Help with chocolate ganache

So I am trying to recreate chocolate ganache from 30 minutes meal.
I do not have single cream in here, so I use whipping cream 30% milk fat minimum. My problem is I always end up with fat sort of split as separate substance, so whole consistency of ganache is not "silky" as Jamie puts it. I guess it is not right, so how can I avoid it. Desperate to master this dish and cannot grasp idea of why fat splits. Help please. help

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 19 Dec 12 6:38pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Help with chocolate ganache

Can you describe exactly what steps you go through?

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 19 Dec 12 10:40pm

ndabbot

Boil water, put on bowl on top of it (makin sure that water does not touch bottom of bowl), break down chocolate, put whipping cream, butter. Waiting for chocolate to melt while mixing slowly. All as shown in 30 minutes meals episode. Chocolate melts fast, but oil appear even faster.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 19 Dec 12 11:42pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Single cream is like coffee cream. Whipping cream is basically "double cream". If you want single cream and the recipe calls for 1 cup use 1/2 cup whipping cream and a 1/2 cup milk.

Ganache doesn't have to be all that difficult and there are different ways of getting it.
I've tried this
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto … index.html

It didn't seem to work because after cooling I whipped the heck out of it and nothing!
Put it in the fridge and shortly it was perfect. And stayed perfect even on a warm summer day outside. Strange.

Raymond Blanc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/choco … oons_19613
"For the ganache filling
        100ml/4fl oz whipping cream
        100g/4oz dark chocolate, or white chocolate if you wish

....For the ganache, place the cream in a small pan and bring to a boil.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until the mixture is smooth then place the in a piping bag fitted with a 8mm/in nozzle."

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 20 Dec 12 10:05am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

ndabbot wrote:

Boil water, put on bowl on top of it (makin sure that water does not touch bottom of bowl), break down chocolate, put whipping cream, butter. Waiting for chocolate to melt while mixing slowly. All as shown in 30 minutes meals episode. Chocolate melts fast, but oil appear even faster.

You've got the water too hot, keep it  below boiling, and if the chocolate melts quickly, remove the bowl from the pan/water..(Chocolate will melt in your pocket, it doesn't need to be "Hot")
If you over heat the chocolate it changes texture and goes "Grainy". Th efact that you're using whipping cream is neither here-nor there.
Edit..make sure you are using good quality chocolate, at least 50% cocoa solids, and melt the chocolate, remove from heat, before adding cream.

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 20 Dec 12 10:12am)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 20 Dec 12 6:43pm

ndabbot

Thanks for help, I will try your suggestions. Reason I am using whipping cream is because for some reason UAE malls do not have single cream and Spinneys is too far. Chocolate I use is Lindt 70% Cocoa.
I thought that heat could be the problem, but Jamie showed that he brought water to boil and even put pasta in it to save time cooking, so I followed  smile

Likes (0)