forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 20 Dec 12 3:52pm

farmergiles

Member since Tue 25 Jan 11

Chicken Dim Sum - 15 Min Meals - how do you get the buns to work?

I've just tried this recipe - I love the vege and I love the chicken and pickle - no problems at all there.

But the buns were a nightmare - it took me 15 minutes to get them to a state when I could even start putting them in the cases.

I used the exact measurements from the show - 1 tin of milk to 2 tins of self raising flour, but no matter how long the processor blade worked it's magic - the mixture was far too soggy and wet and stuck to everything, hands, spoon, board, etc. Even after flour dusting I couldn't roll the mixture because it stuck to the pin so I just spooned it in. Now the rest is yummy but the buns are still looking too wet in the steamer.

Had no issues using the steamer in a cash iron enamel pan which just about fit the steamer with the water.

How has everyone else managed to sort out the buns? I must admit there are two food items I HATE WORKING WITH. They are dough mixtures and pastry, I really struggle with them, having to clean up as I'm working due to the sheer chaos with them.

Just looked at buns again after giving them longer - no difference- they are essentially blobs in a case, no way you could cut them up and use as a bun. Obviously the 2 tins to 1 ratio doesn't work.

Buns didn't taste much of coconut either.

Last edited by farmergiles (Thu 20 Dec 12 4:15pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 20 Dec 12 11:25pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Chicken Dim Sum - 15 Min Meals - how do you get the buns to work?

Hi Farmer Giles,
I feel your pain.

I haven't made that recipe, but it is a basic damper recipe, using coconut milk for the liquid. So from my experience making damper I would say that the important thing is to get the texture right, and you will have to use less liquid to do that (in spite of what Jamie says! Sorry JO).

I don't know what it is about his ingredients, but mine behave quite differently! I make rice with less water than Jamie does, and as for couscous, my 'no fail' method uses exactly HALF the water Jamie's 'no fail' method does.

So my tips for the steamed buns is to use less liquid, as little processing as you can get away with, and fingers crossed they work out for you! cool

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 02 Jan 13 11:18am

ChilliRed

Member since Wed 02 Jan 13

I just made them and they worked fine. They are a heavy bun, I ate less than one! I was making it for 2 and had a can of Ayam light coconut milk, 270ml. I didn't pack the can with flour, just poured it in heaped, and actually only had one of self raising, one of plain and added baking powder. Oh and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of the food processor I just used a wooden spoon and my hands so I deviated a bit! Surely none of that would've affected the consistency, not by much anyway.

Maybe try a different brand of coconut milk?

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 08 Nov 13 12:27pm

nugget01

Member since Fri 08 Nov 13

Yes I can confirm that introducing the buns to my never used food processor was very scary.  Thought that I had followed the recipe incorrectly or that I was using the wrong blade.  After 10 mins on full whack nothing had changed.  Now that I have read your blogs I'm not so worried.  Will try again on the advise of using less liquid.  Please tell me that I should be using the plastic blade? (not sure).  Food processor was a bugger to clean, sticky bun everywhere.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 09 Nov 13 12:56am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi nugget01, yep, use the plastic blade (it works for me anyway with doughs).

Making *almost* any flour: water (liquid) recipe requires some juggling with the ratio. It depends on the flour, ambient temperature and humidity, altitude (and the list goes on). It can change slightly each time the same recipe is used. Best advice: "play it by ear" (really sight and touch) wink.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 15 Mar 14 9:24pm

spiritofstory

Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

I am wondering where I can get the recipe for the Dim Sum Chicken? I could not write it all down quickly enough when watching the show and I cannot find it anywhere on Jamie's site.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Karin

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 15 Mar 14 9:53pm

Maree

Forum champ

Hi spiritofstory, and welcome to the forums.

Is this it?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … en-dim-sum

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 15 Mar 14 10:09pm

spiritofstory

Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

Thanks for your response, Maree! Actually, the recipe I'm looking for is not BBQ chicken. The chicken was marinated in hoisin sauce and steamed with mushrooms and tender broccoli stems.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 15 Mar 14 10:18pm

Maree

Forum champ

OK, sorry. When I saw your request here, I thought it might have been the one smile.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 15 Mar 14 10:34pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum spiritofstory smile

I think this might be the recipe that you want ,
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … en-dim-sum

not all recipes stay on the site permenantly so do make sure you make a note of it 'just incase' .

Likes (0)