Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 Jan 13 9:41am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Are you this much of a hipster?

http://brokelyn.com/hipster-dust-is-veg … -new-drug/

"Did you think that 2013 would maybe feature a little less ridiculous food news in your life? Well, you were certainly wrong about that one. Doing their best to knock artisanal mayo and Red Hook-scented beard oil off the perch of “most ridiculous Brooklyn-based product available” comes Hipster Dust. What is hipster dust? A “vegan spice mixture” created in a kitchen in Williamsburg. Sure.

Never mind the fact that you have to try really hard to make a spice out of animal products, who is the target audience for something called hipster dust? Foodies with no sense of shame? Or a really heavy sense of irony? Moms in suburban kitchens trying to look cool to their disaffected teenage kids? The website doesn’t offer much about the product except for some glowing recommendations from some foodies we’ve never heard of (natch) and a picture of some Wayfarer sunglasses (again, natch).

Also confusing is why the spice mixture is vegan if half of the recipes that are being promoted for use with hipster dust are non-vegan. It’s five bucks for a two-ounce tin that looks like something you’d keep your actual drugs in, so at forty bucks a pound it’s certainly expensive enough to be a joke on foodies. But who knows, maybe this is real and the people behind it are just trying to reclaim “hipster.” Anyway, we’ll be on the lookout for their food truck at McCarren Park this summer, because of course that’s what’s going to happen next, right?"

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 04 Jan 13 4:47pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Re: Are you this much of a hipster?

Sounds like it's just someone that is out to make a little money.  Sadly thats how a lot of the world works.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 04 Jan 13 5:55pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

forty bucks a pound shocked  Pfft... that's all i need to know...im outta here...they must be avin a larf...   lol

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 04 Jan 13 5:59pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

lol  A fool and his money!

I'm even more fascinated by 'beard oil'.  Oh yah, that has to be a good look - oily beard - NOT!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 04 Jan 13 6:19pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

MsPablo wrote:

lol  A fool and his money!

I'm even more fascinated by 'beard oil'.  Oh yah, that has to be a good look - oily beard - NOT!

oil not be having any of that thank-you.... lol

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 05 Jan 13 9:53am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Me either, Joobes wink wave

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)