Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Canned Tomatoes......

wine~o wrote:

Kye wrote:

Whole...always.

Care to elaborate ???

Whole and rotten to be thrown at people whose answers need to be elaborated  tongue

Last edited by Kye (Fri 18 Jan 13 11:14am)

Likes (0)

#34 Fri 18 Jan 13 12:50am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Tomatoes are a staple...I usually buy Aldi chopped and passata tomato...no problems with water, etc. and food tastes great on the plate. If I'm doing something special, I might buy fresh toms, peeled and prepped. But when do i have time for this these days?  roll

Likes (0)

#35 Fri 18 Jan 13 12:53am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Having now started to research the whole business of canned tomatoes, I no longer care about anything we have discussed so far because I am so freaked out that a lot of tinned tomatoes are peeled by SOAKING THEM IN HOT LYE.

Honestly, Google "canned tomatoes lye"! I can't even give you a single link, it's referred to so widely, by all sorts of academic papers and so on.

shocked  shocked  shocked

eta I now check the Wikipedia article and find lye is actually used as an ingredient in certain traditional foods, like cured fish.

My world is turned upside down. I thought lye was horrific corrosive stuff you did not want on your dinner plate?

Last edited by hippytea (Fri 18 Jan 13 12:56am)

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 18 Jan 13 11:12am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

better not google  lye cured olives hippy. wink

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#37 Fri 18 Jan 13 2:17pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

hippytea wrote:

Having now started to research the whole business of canned tomatoes, I no longer care about anything we have discussed so far because I am so freaked out that a lot of tinned tomatoes are peeled by SOAKING THEM IN HOT LYE.

Honestly, Google "canned tomatoes lye"! I can't even give you a single link, it's referred to so widely, by all sorts of academic papers and so on.

shocked  shocked  shocked

eta I now check the Wikipedia article and find lye is actually used as an ingredient in certain traditional foods, like cured fish.

My world is turned upside down. I thought lye was horrific corrosive stuff you did not want on your dinner plate?

Buy organic.

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 18 Jan 13 3:06pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Do the organic standards ban lye peeling?

Will need to check this out.

I didn't read about lye-cured olives, but was interested to read an article about lutefisk, which is soaked in lye during its production to the point that it actually becomes caustic, and must be soaked in water to lower its ph enough to become edible again!

Not one for my shopping basket, I think.

Likes (0)

#39 Fri 18 Jan 13 3:38pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We had lutefisk many times with our friends in Oslo and my friend taught me how to make it and other traditional Norwegian foods like pinnekjott and rakfisk.  They sell lutefisk already soaked and cleaned so that you don't have that long process.  It appears less opaque and a little gelatinous before heating, then it's served smothered in bacon cooked in butter.  The flavor is pretty mild and mostly what you taste is the butter and bacon.  Our friend always made the best versions of these dishes, even compared to famous Oslo restaurants.

I most enjoyed the process of making pinnkjott which are cured/dried lamb or mutton ribs and it's served with mashed kolrabi and sausages, a heavy meal.  It's steamed over juniper branches.  Juniper wood is a natural anti-microbial and is used for making mustard pots, etc.

I think the rakfisk meal was my favorite.  It's a red trout that's preserved and it comes out a little bit like gravadlaks, but not quite.  It's served with sour cream, raw onions and lefsa.

People tend to freak about these Norwegian foods, but honestly if you're a haggis eater, nothing should really scare you. help  tongue

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 18 Jan 13 3:38pm)

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 18 Jan 13 3:48pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

MsPablo wrote:

People tend to freak about these Norwegian foods, but honestly if you're a haggis eater, nothing should really scare you. help  tongue

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)