forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 26 Jan 13 4:06pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Silicone tools and molds

I've loved using my silicone muffin molds and 'rubber scrapers', but suddenly, they have picked up fragrance, maybe from the dishwasher detergent?  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how can I get that odor out of them or is it time to replace them?  I definitely will not use the dishwasher to clean them again if that's where that soapiness originated.  Even after washing over and over with hot water and dish liquid and rinsing a lot, no luck, still disgustingly perfumed and that sickening perfume went in to my baked goods. sad

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 26 Jan 13 4:07pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 26 Jan 13 4:33pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: Silicone tools and molds

MsPablo.  Try soaking the silicone in a bicarbonate of soda solution and leave overnight.

I have recently bought tongs with silicone 'grabbers' but I've had spatulas for many years.  No odour noticed on them.  Now I'll have to go and have sniff!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 26 Jan 13 6:06pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Dunno, MrsP...I don't trust sillycone cookware, It just doesn't seem right somehow...
Call ne a "Luddite" if you like.... hmm

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 26 Jan 13 6:10pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I will try the baking soda, maybe do a couple of soaks and rinses over the course of a couple of days.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 26 Jan 13 10:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I don't use them, but i have a friend that puts them in the freezer overnight whenever they start getting smelly. Silicone absorbs odours so keep them away from the fish wink

Likes (0)