forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 29 Mar 13 9:11pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Grocery Guilt

knowing someone who works in a grocery store it is funny the things you hear about .
one piece of advice is not to piss off the servers being demanding thinking you will get special attention.  One regular customer will come in and ask for a specific number setting on a specific  deli slicer ( this is fine) then will ask to see the piece and often continue to change the number two or three times. When shown the piece they will say they can't see it and make the server reach across the counter to show it to them closer.  .  Remember this is a regular customer, every day or other day buying just a bit of the same deli  meats. This is repeated every time.  Sometimes when they  have approved of the thickness, the slicer adjustment is mysteriously moved as the meat is sliced resulting in all kinds of different thicknesses.  . This is after the counterpersons scatter seeing them coming and the last one to realize this customer is   coming , is stuck serving them. 

lesson?   knowing what you want and asking for it is a good thing, being a PITA just to make yourself feel important will result in push back.  luckily this is fairly mild retaliation.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#22 Fri 29 Mar 13 10:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I have worked in a few food service situations and yeah, you see all kinds and for some reason, the crazies seem to focus a lot on the food servers/businesses.  We had a guy in one place I worked in college who was psychotic/delusional.  When my colleague made his sandwich, he would scream frantically that she should not touch the food (she was wearing gloves, of course) and once, the screaming and threats startled her enough that she dropped the sandwich on the floor which by that time of day was as filthy as can be.  Because he was that nuts, she just picked it up, put it together and handed it to him and he paid as if nothing was amiss.  Her bad, but truly, sometimes it is hard to manage that type of customer.

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 29 Mar 13 10:45pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

BritFinn wrote:

One thing I have noticed here is that unlike the UK it's very rare to see people with their trolleys filled to overflowing, even before the holidays.  There never seems to be that thing of the shops are going to be closed for a couple of days, so I need to buy enough milk/bread to last a month!

Happens here, too. I had to pick up some last minute things last Thursday afternoon. Had planned on getting to the supermarket before the kids got out of school but that didn't happen. The cars were queued up for a block to get into the car park (I should add that there's another supermarket just 100m away and another a km away). When I finally got in, there were people to guide the parking. In the supermarket complex, people were crazy. Trolleys were filled to overflowing. I couldn't believe it. The shops were only to be closed for a day(!). It was worse than Christmas Eve.

Yes, when waiting at the register, if the trashy magazine covers don't take my momentary "interest", I do glance into others' trolleys, as others do mine.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#24 Sat 30 Mar 13 6:50am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I dont feel guilty. cause when I look at others´ trolleys, I see heavily packaged unhealthy stuff like sausages and cookies. I usually have a cabbage, sometimes onions, carrots, one carton of milk, eggs. Sometimes dried peas. which have started to come in bulk too.
I just don´t understand, at a time when we´ve talked so much about the effects of plastic and packaging, trying to reduce it, why are so many people so ruthlessly eco-aggressive? That is, saying: "I know it is bad, but why should I care?"

but I won´t fret. I´ll just try my own best, reuse plastic bags (even the small ones).

I miss wrapping paper from the old days. all the cheese and other stuff sold in the counter was packed into that. now some people leave with about 50 plastic bags every time. crazy. wake up, please.

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 30 Mar 13 2:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Maree, that is the perfect description of pre-holiday shopping and in our society, all the big stores remain open on all holidays and some are open 24/7 365 days a year.

RedFox, it pains me to see all the plastic.  Why does each type of vegs need to go in to a separate plastic bag?  I carry my own shopping bags and I place one down in the cart flat and put all the various loose vegetables on it.  I do this partly because the carts are usually pretty dirty and this also helps keep everything from rolling around and bruising.

In Italy, a woman admonished me for taking fruits without putting on surgical gloves.  I had not seen the glove dispenser, so I of course, apologized and put on a pair, but wouldn't it be better if there was a produce staff that pulled what you wanted for you, rather than hundreds of pairs of latex gloves going in to the trash in every supermarket?

Likes (0)

#26 Sat 30 Mar 13 9:00pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

MsPablo wrote:

Maree, that is the perfect description of pre-holiday shopping and in our society, all the big stores remain open on all holidays and some are open 24/7 365 days a year.

RedFox, it pains me to see all the plastic.  Why does each type of vegs need to go in to a separate plastic bag?  I carry my own shopping bags and I place one down in the cart flat and put all the various loose vegetables on it.  I do this partly because the carts are usually pretty dirty and this also helps keep everything from rolling around and bruising.

In Italy, a woman admonished me for taking fruits without putting on surgical gloves.  I had not seen the glove dispenser, so I of course, apologized and put on a pair, but wouldn't it be better if there was a produce staff that pulled what you wanted for you, rather than hundreds of pairs of latex gloves going in to the trash in every supermarket?

gloves??? gosh. thankfully Estonia hasn´t reached that point yet.

it is always better to shop at an open market but of course mostly in summertime and autumn.
one trick I have ais that I carry fruit nets and put my carrots and onions in those.
I also always have a fabric bag
my granny used to crochet a shopping bag from old plastic milk containers or bags. In Finland I also saw loads of shopping bags out of coffee bags, but they said it takes about 50 to make one and I just dont have patience to collect them!!! they look pretty cool.

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 30 Mar 13 11:21pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

I have a couple of those crocheted bags which are great because they expand to much greater size and make it comfortable to carry the load.  I also use a sturdy straw bag from a hardware store in France that cost me $7.  The cost at that time was three times that in posh French markets for the same bag.

Finland is unique and has  some of the best systems for energy recycling and so on.  The studio where MrP worked had the most sophisticated computers for motion capture, etc. at that time and the manager showed me the rooms where the heat from all the computers was recycled - in an arctic climate, they used zero heating and only captured the heat from their computers to heat the building.

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 31 Mar 13 12:18am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

MsPablo wrote:

During the holidays here, the stores do get crowded.  The malls stay open longer (some bigger stores open late Thanksgiving evening, which I don't like).  Some food stores are open limited hours Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Both of the malls near me will be closed tomorrow for Easter.

Here in CA, each fruit and veggie has its own store velocity code (fancy term for 'inventory code').  The code determines what I pay--after all, I don't want to be paying for organic tomatoes when I'm buying regular tomatoes.

Gloves required for produce-shopping?  Here, you have to wear gloves if handling food directly (as in restaurants--but not for food-shopping).

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 31 Mar 13 12:22am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

MsPablo wrote:

I have a couple of those crocheted bags which are great because they expand to much greater size and make it comfortable to carry the load.  I also use a sturdy straw bag from a hardware store in France that cost me $7.  The cost at that time was three times that in posh French markets for the same bag.

Finland is unique and has  some of the best systems for energy recycling and so on.  The studio where MrP worked had the most sophisticated computers for motion capture, etc. at that time and the manager showed me the rooms where the heat from all the computers was recycled - in an arctic climate, they used zero heating and only captured the heat from their computers to heat the building.

Here in CA (at least in my area), there is a patchwork of laws among cities re: plastic bags.  They are still legal where I live, but the neighboring beach town doesn't allow them   Paper bags or reusable bags are allowed. 

Of course, now we're finding out about an unintended consequence: an upsurge in shoplifting.  Seems that, when some enter the store with their bundle of reusable bags, they put their stuff in the bags--and then walk out without paying.

Likes (0)