Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 02 Apr 13 12:38pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Easter site hack

Hey all,

WOW. As you've all seen we had some pretty nasty attacks on the site over Easter weekend (not much fun, I can assure you). Eric has excelled himself in sorting out the issues that were caused though, and other than a couple of little hiccups (I have noted the avatars and emoticons) everything should now be back up and functioning properly.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and confusion these issues may have caused you. It's been a long weekend in every sense of the phrase.

All that aside, how was everybody's Easter? Any particularly memorable food experiences?

Speak soon,
M x

Ps. If anything else pops up, feel free to wing me an email.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 02 Apr 13 1:29pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Easter site hack

I was one of those affected by the attack on the site, AVG (my anti-virus software) claimed to have quarantined the threat/s

As a double check I ran Mbam anti-malware...which found the 2 Trojans which AVG had failed to spot..

You can download a FREE version of Mbam here

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

If you visited the site over the weekend I would strongly recommend downloading and running a full scan as you may have the same problem without being aware of it.

@ Merlin and Eric. Thanks for your hard work in getting everything back to relative normality..

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 02 Apr 13 3:18pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Doing just that wine-o.  Already did a computer scan and now it's in the middle of a clean-up, as it was still showing there was a security risk.  Grrrrrr!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 02 Apr 13 3:47pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

big_smile  clap

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 02 Apr 13 4:10pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I did several scans over the weekend whist that red box kept flashing up on my screen , They did not find anything on my computer so presume that windows defender that I use was doing a fine job.

Easter food, my daughters made some really good hot cross buns , they were cheif bakers this year as I hadnt been well and they did an amazing job , they made 64 hotcross bus and ahotcrodd bun- loaf out of the hot cross bun dough.
As usual , some hot cross buns were left without dried fruit in them as we have friends that dislike dried fruits.

we had some memorable meals together as all the family were home, I cooked the Easter Sunday slow cooked lamb roast on the staurday as some of the family had to leave on Saturday then we treated ourselves to lunch out on Easter Sunday which was lovely.

Other meals over the hiiliday period were roast chicken with the cold chicken being made into a chicken pie on the next day ,
Honey roasted ham which had been first simmered in cider .
Slow roasted belly pork.
al with seasonal veggies and salads.
All in all the family ate very well over the Easter holidays.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 02 Apr 13 6:36pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Thistledo wrote:

Doing just that wine-o.  Already did a computer scan and now it's in the middle of a clean-up, as it was still showing there was a security risk.  Grrrrrr!

It's a sneaky bit of software than can bypass your normal firewall/anti virus..

I've never had one get past my firewall and AVG before now...and you would not believe some of the sites I go to...

(As part of my Moderator duties on another forum...honest!!)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 02 Apr 13 9:11pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

....only just noticed that all the Avatars have disappeared!

Luckily my own PC didn't allow me to enter this site (it blocked me) while poor old Jamie, Merlin and others were under attack from naughty computer bestial's.

Not much happened here over Easter, but the previous weekend me and a couple of enthusiasts knocked up a clay oven....

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7239/001qwq.jpg

Terry

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 02 Apr 13 9:37pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

oh and as aside..As an easter treat...Roast leg of lamb, Yorkshire puddings etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6j2Wa_ … e=youtu.be

Last edited by wine~o (Wed 03 Apr 13 8:50am)

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 02 Apr 13 10:02pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

wine-o, we use ESET NOD323 Antivirus.  Since 08:35 today it's been running a Statistics clean up and still running (yawn, zzzzzz).

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 03 Apr 13 9:43am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Malwarebytes is an excellent program and having an up to date anti virus is pretty essential these days.  Even large and trusted sites are getting hit now.  In Feb  NBC's  websites were hit with similar attacks  ....   A very important thing to realize is that these attacks go after security holes in well known programs like Java, flashplayer, different  internet browsers , office etc. .   Most often these holes have already been identified and fixed in updates  from the companies. The sad part is that   too few people are consistent about keep them up to date and this leaves them vunerable  even if they are running a good anti-virus program and do regular malware scans.

the company Secunia  offers a free online scanner ( OSI)  that will inspect your system and tell you if certain programs   need to be updated.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

if fact when  I just ran it , I found out I need to update my email client.  big_smile

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)