forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 24 Apr 13 10:07pm

marlow77

Member since Thu 03 Nov 11

The point of mozarella?

So you use it in lasagna, pizza, few other things, and I've been using it lately in a basic kinda riggatoni/baked ziti type thing that I wanted to make from the Sopranos lol. But I find it's basically tasteless!It's just tastelesss cheese. Smells, tastes of water that's about it. So what's the point, just to make something stringy? LOLLLLLL. I'm just gonna use strong cheddar instead now n get some actual taste  neutral

Last edited by marlow77 (Wed 24 Apr 13 10:07pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 24 Apr 13 10:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: The point of mozarella?

I think it depends on the type of mozzerella that you use, many if the supermarket types are firm and have a light delicate flavour .
If you get a good buffalo mozzerella its a beautiful texture the outer ball of the cheese is sort of layered and the inside if softer and gooey , a delight on a salad.

Mozzerella does not have the depth of flavour of a cheese like cheddar , its a totaly different cheese, cheddar has been matured for a fairly long time whilst mozzerela is a young cheese eaten and it has  a high moisture content.
Cheddar is an aged and drier cheese.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 24 Apr 13 11:08pm

marlow77

Member since Thu 03 Nov 11

Whenever I did a pasta bake I would usually just cook the pasta with the pasta sauce and just add the cheese on top once it's done and on the plate. But since I read up how to make these things properly I've been putting the cheese in as well to cook. I notice no difference in flavour whatsoever, if anything adding the cheese in the cooking actually results in LESS flavour. I really don't get alot of these type recipes, so much stuff seems totally pointless :-s

Last edited by marlow77 (Wed 24 Apr 13 11:09pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 25 Apr 13 1:25am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Try to think of the recipe as more of historical thing. It's a traditional ingredient because those kind of soft cheeses are easy to make and probably what they had available. It would have been a way of getting calcium and spreading out the meal to feed everyone. It's role is unlikely to have ever been about getting high flavour. For that you need hard cheeses that have high glutamate levels which give you that flavour. But not all food needs to have high levels of flavour to be enjoyed.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 25 Apr 13 1:06pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

If you don't like it don't use it.  But mozzarella is certainly not pointless, that just seems to be your own personal problem in my opinion.

I love the freshness of mozzarella, I love the texture of it raw in a salad and I love the texture of it cooked in food or on top of pizza.  It is extremely mild because it is not an aged cheese, it is fresh!  It does need to be dressed up a little and paired but its texture and function is unbeatable.  You can also marinate small pieces of mozzarella with olive oil, balsamic and herbs. 

Good luck with putting cheddar on pizza and lasagna (eyeroll)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 25 Apr 13 11:18pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Mozzarella is, to me, like paneer and tofu  a vehicle for carrying the flavours of other ingredients as well as being a "glue" with its ooziness.

For me, I don't see the point of zucchini/courgette for the same (watery) reason, but that's another story wink.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 10 May 13 10:19am

Nikisha

From Vienna, Austria
Member since Mon 20 Dec 04

koukouvagia wrote:

If you don't like it don't use it.  But mozzarella is certainly not pointless, that just seems to be your own personal problem in my opinion.

I love the freshness of mozzarella, I love the texture of it raw in a salad and I love the texture of it cooked in food or on top of pizza.  It is extremely mild because it is not an aged cheese, it is fresh!  It does need to be dressed up a little and paired but its texture and function is unbeatable.  You can also marinate small pieces of mozzarella with olive oil, balsamic and herbs. 

I completely agree. Mozzarella is one of my favourite cheeses (eventhough I usually prefer strong flavoured cheese, the stinkier the better  tongue ) because it gives a lot of dishes that certain something and mixes well with other flavours. There's nothing better than ripe, red tomatoes, some good-quality mozzarella and basil with some olive oil.
Maybe the OP just hasn't bought any quality mozzarella yet, I've had some cheap brands that were tasteless.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 10 May 13 1:59pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Nikisha wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

I completely agree. Mozzarella is one of my favourite cheeses (eventhough I usually prefer strong flavoured cheese, the stinkier the better  tongue ) because it gives a lot of dishes that certain something and mixes well with other flavours. There's nothing better than ripe, red tomatoes, some good-quality mozzarella and basil with some olive oil.
Maybe the OP just hasn't bought any quality mozzarella yet, I've had some cheap brands that were tasteless.

It's true, you can't expect polly-o string cheese to compare to fresh mozzarella.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 10 May 13 5:50pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Tomato, Basi,l Mozzarella: Come on people.

Likes (0)