forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 11 May 13 4:36pm

cmdrbond007

Member since Sat 11 May 13

Picking Fresh Herbs

Hi everyone-- I'm new to the forums and had a question regarding how to pick various fresh herbs so that you continue to promote growth and don't kill the plant as a result.

I'm currently growing flat leaf parsley, rosemary, thyme, and sage.  How do i best pick the fresh herbs so that the plants continue to produce fresh growth all season? e.g pick leaves versus cutting stem?  if cutting stem how far down etc?  I know I've come to the right place.

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 11 May 13 6:06pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Picking Fresh Herbs

Cut just above a crook and at an angle.  That is a joint between two stems or where a leaf stem branches off.  Some plant stems begin at the basal crown where the plant meets the dirt, such as parsley.  In that case, cut to just above the dirt, but leave plenty of stems uncut to keep the plant alive.  Thyme is usually cut back hard to the crown to prevent woody and lanky growth.  Cut back older growth now and then to the base to encourage new growth.

When the plants are young, cut enough to encourage them to branch and get full.  Always leave most of the leaves on the plant - at least 70%.

While herbs don't usually require a lot of fertilizing, they do need some now and then, especially if you're growing in pots and cutting frequently.  When plants don't get rain and are watered . . . feed them a little more fertilizer than you would normally - not a lot though.

Likes (0)