forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 11 May 13 7:05pm

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal
Member since Sun 07 Mar 10

From office to work to becoming a baker

Growing up I was brainwashed with the idea that I must get a degree and get a job behind a desk; and that I was never going to be a good cook because I showed no interest in learning.

As soon as I went to university I started to enjoy cooking and now at 36, many moons later, I realise I hate office work with passion and what I love is being in the kitchen cooking meals or baking (it actually relaxes me more than meditation).

Do you guys think I still have a chance of changing careers? And how? (I'm not in the UK at the moment but will move back soon-ish; where I am living now I've been blocked from accessing cooking courses due to my age - they only train people up to 22 and with no degrees).

I'd like to, one day, have a small coffee shop that sold own bread, sandwiches and cakes - nothing too fancy.

I know this is not a cooking related question as such, but would really love to read your opinions. I don't know where to start.

question

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 11 May 13 7:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: From office to work to becoming a baker

Welcome to the forum greenlady smile

There have been forum members in the past that have changed cerears and have gone into the catering buisness.

I sure what you are dreaming is possible as some people manage to do this very sucessfully , but equally there are many who fail for one reason or another.
I think that it will be quite hard work as you wil need to work long hours and be dedicated to the buisness to acheive a lovely little cafe,
I have seen quite a nimber of small cafes fail as they are not open at the correct hours or they are in the wrong location.

We have a little coffee shop near to where I live, it does not open till almost 10 am shuts at around 3pm , it misses loads of buisness as we live near a park and the park is busy after the schols close and in the evenings, it also misses out n the eary morning trade when the parents have taaken their children at the school and are walking home together catting as they walk down the road.
There is a sign up on the wall that says in huge letters 'Cafe Open' without advertising the times it is open . as you can see it gives the wrong message as when people walk to it in the early evening its shut !

I am sure it is possible for you to retern to a college and study a catering course and I wish you well in your training and lovely cafe .

Another avanue to think about is the street food scene in the UK is starting to take off more and more. Its no longer just burger vans thet you see but depending on the srea that you live you can get some simply amazing dishes from a street food vendor .

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 12 May 13 10:09pm

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal

I love the idea of street food. Love it, love it, love it.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 12 May 13 10:41pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

In Britain it is possible to access education at any age...........the only problem might be how it has to be paid for.
Bursaries & grants are still available...especially for people of a 'certain age' or who are changing career direction. Our local libraries hold directories which list local/national supplimentary bursaries & awards (& also one-off payments for learning supplies/equipment in certain course studies)........these are not state fundings but often private trusts & bequests, & can prove very useful to people such as yourself.
Since you are interested in commercial cookery/baking........there may be government grants & incentives to help you train & set up as a small business.

If you spend a bit of time researching opportunities & funding, you may find all sorts of help. I wish you good fortune & would be pleased to hear in future how you get on.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 12 May 13 10:56pm

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal

I'd expect to fund my own training. I'm not British (my husband is) and I don't want to take advantage of State funding.

I just wonder now with street food if I can just make what I do best and sell without having to go through extensive training of any kind.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 13 May 13 1:10am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Probably, but beware of 'Health & Safety' rules, & also trading regulations.
If you are going to do 'Street Food' you will need to locate a proper 'pitch' or you may well be breaking the law.
The local District Council would be able to help you with a lot of advice, & with training re 'Food Safety' & 'Food Hygiene' certificates.
You would also need 'Public Liability' insurance too.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 13 May 13 9:40am

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal

Yes, I I'd need at the very least a Health & Hygiene certificate. We're not sure where we will be living in the UK as yet but when we get there, wherever it is, I'll contact the local District Council.

So helpful. Thank you.  clap

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 13 May 13 2:36pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Good luck!  Although it is not always necessary for success, it can be helpful to get a little training or professional experience for many reasons - learning how to run a food business, getting consistent results in cooking, becoming familiar with using commercial equipment.  If there was an apprenticeship or someone who might hire you and train you for a period, you might feel more ready when you start off on your own.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 13 May 13 4:35pm

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal

Another good tip, thank you. I'm making a note of everything.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 14 May 13 9:36am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Sorry I cant help with this as I dont live in the UK but wish you well with your new venture.
thumbsup

Likes (0)