forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 25 May 13 11:23pm

imsotall

Member since Sat 25 May 13

Selling homemade ice creams

For a while I have had an idea about selling homemade ice creams (individually wrapped) to cafes, restaurants etc. I have never really been in a position to do this but recently I was out of work for a while and the though of a little side project that would also make a little money seemed even more appealing.

I am aware that there are some health and safety boxes to tick but that doesn't seem too difficult. Even if I didn't make them at home I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to borrow a small part of a local cafe/restaurant kitchen every now and again to make them. Throw in some bespoke packaging and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do

Any advice or thoughts about the viability of this would be appreciated. Especially around things like getting products into the types if retail locations that I mentioned and also if numbers wise it is unrealistic to expect to be able to sell enough to make the whole thing financially worthwhile. Thanks

Tom

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 26 May 13 11:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Selling homemade ice creams

Welcome to the forum imsotall  smile

I am not sure that this is going to be as easy as you thing .
Your kitchen would have to be inspected as a food handling premises and there are various registrations and insurances you will need .

You will also have to have a good understanding of the safety aspect of preparing and storing the ice cream , I would think you have to have a separate freezer for the ice cream and I'm sure you will also come under various dairy regulations .
It might not be that easy.

But ... At the street party last summer outside the fifteen restaurant , there was a young icecream seller who has I think done what you are talking about doing . I can't remember their name sorry , so it is possible to acheive.

Likes (0)