Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 01 Jun 13 9:06pm

RebeccaBourhill

Occupation Student wanna be chef
From Rustenberg, South Africa
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

I really need your help....

Hi guys,

Listen I really need your help. I am wanting to submit in a recipe to our south African News Paper called the Sunday Times to put in the food section. I have created the recipe but I need your honest opinion on how I have written it and if you want to try it and let me know how it goes that would be wonderful, this is the first time I am compiling a recipe to hand in and published! I also need a name for it so maybe someone could help me come up with an interesting name. Its a fruit dessert a bit like a mousse. So for now I have called it:

'orange and passion fruit mousse'
Ingredients:
250ml freshly squeezed orange juice
zest of 2 oranges
pulp of 4 passion fruits/ granadillas
4 gelatine leaves/sheets
125ml sugar
1 tin refrigerated ideal milk

Method
1. Together in a pot add the orange juice, orange zest, pulp of the passion fruit and the sugar. leave to simmer until reduced by half while keeping a close eye. In the mean time soak the gelatine leaves in cold water.

2. Once the orange mixture has reduced by half turn off the stove and add the soaked and squeezed gelatine leaves and stir till dissolved.

3. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool with 2 blocks of ice. In the mean time beat the idea milk till light and fluffy.

4. slowly pour and fold in the 'jellee' mixture into the beaten ideal milk. Don't add all the jellee mixture at once otherwise lumps will form.

5. pour into a serving dish and leave to set for 3-4 hours. alternately pour into multiple smaller ramekins.

Thank You all so much!
Rebecca smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 02 Jun 13 5:06am

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Re: I really need your help....

Hi Rebecca!

You are doing find with the recipe writing. In my opinion any recipe is best with a narration of what it taste first inc maybe some history behind it. At the end of the story you may want to put suggestions such as the dish is good with some drink or other dishes, best taken when ie morning, lunch, tea etc.

All being said, I think you are on your way there and in time you would be noticed. My suggestion on the name would be Zesty Passion Delight.

All the best!

cheers
moe

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 02 Jun 13 7:05am

RebeccaBourhill

moeabdullah wrote:

Hi Rebecca!

You are doing find with the recipe writing. In my opinion any recipe is best with a narration of what it taste first inc maybe some history behind it. At the end of the story you may want to put suggestions such as the dish is good with some drink or other dishes, best taken when ie morning, lunch, tea etc.

All being said, I think you are on your way there and in time you would be noticed. My suggestion on the name would be Zesty Passion Delight.

All the best!

cheers
moe

Thank You so much for your input! I LOVE your suggestion to the name and I totally agree with your first paragraph.

Thanks so much again
Rebecca

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 02 Jun 13 4:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'd like to try it, but am not sure what refrigerated Ideal milk is Rebecca.  Is it sweetened condensed milk and what is the amount in a can?

I would go through and capitalize your ingredients and the first words in your list of method instructions.  Run it through your S. African English spell check just in case.

Should the zest be finely grated?

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 03 Jun 13 5:49am

RebeccaBourhill

MsPablo wrote:

I'd like to try it, but am not sure what refrigerated Ideal milk is Rebecca.  Is it sweetened condensed milk and what is the amount in a can?

I would go through and capitalize your ingredients and the first words in your list of method instructions.  Run it through your S. African English spell check just in case.

Should the zest be finely grated?

Ideal Milk is evaporated milk but it must be refrigerated otherwise it will not beat and go fluffy. I am unsure of the amount in ml but it is 380g.  I have actually taken out the zest since I have Last made it.
I realised that I have not used caps, thanks for the reminder.
Give it a go and it me know!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 03 Jun 13 2:32pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks Rebecca.   I'll get evaporated  milk - 380 g. / 13.4 fluid ounces and chill it first.  I love passion fruit and together with the orange, this recipe sounds so refreshing.

I may have to use frozen passion fruit pulp as our stores don't always carry passion fruits.  I think one reason is that people don't know what they are and some varieties look like they're over ripe when they're ready - wrinkled skins (we do see the deep purple ones in stores sometimes).  I realize the type you guys use are more smooth and orange - grenadillas . . . is that right?  Hope I can find a similar type.  I believe the ones from Hawaii are similar.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 03 Jun 13 2:35pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 03 Jun 13 3:42pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi Rebecca,

Nice recipe and I wish you good luck with it!! big_smile

I agree with all the suggestions above, not being an expert at making dessserts (Im better at eating them wink ) I'd like to give you my opinion. I think the recipe lacks a "twist", something that makes a difference. I dont know whats missing, but some spice, herb or even some drink, alcholic drink I mean. Maybe others can say if this makes sense or not.

Anyway I wish you all the best!!!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 03 Jun 13 3:56pm

RebeccaBourhill

MsPablo wrote:

Thanks Rebecca.   I'll get evaporated  milk - 380 g. / 13.4 fluid ounces and chill it first.  I love passion fruit and together with the orange, this recipe sounds so refreshing.

I may have to use frozen passion fruit pulp as our stores don't always carry passion fruits.  I think one reason is that people don't know what they are and some varieties look like they're over ripe when they're ready - wrinkled skins (we do see the deep purple ones in stores sometimes).  I realize the type you guys use are more smooth and orange - grenadillas . . . is that right?  Hope I can find a similar type.  I believe the ones from Hawaii are similar.

We have the wrinked skin ones. Frozen pulp would would I can imagine, use about 2 thirds - 1 cup of puld I would imagine.....
I think thats what I like about it is thts its very refreshing and not too sweet! Perfect after a barbeque or something really heavy for mains.

Last edited by RebeccaBourhill (Mon 03 Jun 13 4:00pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 03 Jun 13 3:59pm

RebeccaBourhill

sergio1972 wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

Nice recipe and I wish you good luck with it!! big_smile

I agree with all the suggestions above, not being an expert at making dessserts (Im better at eating them wink ) I'd like to give you my opinion. I think the recipe lacks a "twist", something that makes a difference. I dont know whats missing, but some spice, herb or even some drink, alcholic drink I mean. Maybe others can say if this makes sense or not.

Anyway I wish you all the best!!!

I see what you are getting at with getting the twist in the recipe. You have given me something to think about! smile

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 03 Jun 13 4:37pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Rebecca, I respectfully disagree with sergio on the spices and herbs in this dish.  The natural citrusy flavors will be brilliant without spices and herbs.  For the paper, I'd keep it kid-friendly and skip the alcohol, but you may want to add a little to see how you like it and suggest it as an optional ingredient.  I associate the flavor of orange liqueur with baby aspirin, unfortunately and it never has that natural citrus flavor to me, it tastes artificial like a combination of 'Tang' the powdered orange drink combined with raw alcohol.  In a margarita, I think it works because it's a big sweet, icky drink and you've kind of given up your standards once you go down that road anyway . . . some of this I say tongue-in-cheek, some of it is, sadly, serious. big_smile  tongue

A nice twist would be to show us how to mold the dish in a pretty way and garnish it.  I might represent the non-baker here when I say that I love chef-y tricks for making food pretty that I can do easily at home with little or no skill! big_smile

Likes (0)