forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 17 Jun 13 5:05pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Meat-free Monday

If you've been watching the news & blogs feed on JamieOliver.com you'll have seen that we're getting into the Meat-free Monday spirit with a fantastic piece from one of our guest authors on getting lovely veg into your diet. You can read it here: http://goo.gl/VZQBE

We're curious, are any forum-users taking part in this new tradition?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 17 Jun 13 11:09pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Meat-free Monday

Most days are meat free here wink

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Mon 17 Jun 13 11:47pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

No. I think it's a bit of a silly way to encourage people to try new dishes or to eat the level of vegetables they should. Should be a 'eat realistic size meat portion day too. Probably an eat fish day would be better to encourage people to do that.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 Jun 13 11:44am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Meat free Mondays have been around for quite a number of years and there is a meat free Monday cookbook (although I think that was only published a couple of years ago )
In the uk it was a campain spearheaded by Paul McCartney .

As Ashen pointed out in this thread ..
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=80019
He makes a distinction between being 'meat free' and 'vegetarian'
Being vegetarian myself I always think if meat free as a vegetarian meal.  I had not considered this point till then.

White rabbit It used to be common for people to eat fish on a Friday , this was for religious reasons but this practice was abandoned by the church I think in the 80's.

It seems to be taking a long time for meat free Mondays to catch on and I think it's only caught on and known about by a few  people rather than everyone being aware of it . Which is why It's suddenly thought if as a new tradition .

I have always thought Monday was a daft day to be meat free as for years it has been traditionally the day that the remains of the Sunday roast gets eaten up .
However what it does do is to raise people's awareness of eating more vegetables .

As I'm vegetarian , every day is meat free for me . What I now have to do ,( now the family have all left home to lead their own lives ) is to remember to cook meat for my darling as he is most definatly not a vegetarian although he happily eats vegetarian meals !

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 Jun 13 12:18pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I don't do meat-free Mondays, and probably never will (although I generally eat fish on a Friday!).  I consider it a bit of a gimmick, although it could be a good way to encourage people to eat more vegetables - however, it's quite easy to make a meat-free Monday meal out of processed vegetarian foods from the supermarket, which (to my mind at least) defeats the object of the exercise.  Whilst my family is in no way vegetarian, we do eat many more fresh vegetables than some of my vegetarian friends ...

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 18 Jun 13 1:04pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have tried a few vegetarian ready meals or processed vegetarian foods in the past and I have not really  liked any that I've tried . But it was useful to try them as I at least know what is the most tolerable incase I'm ever in a situation I need to use one !

I always cook vegetarian meals from fresh and use very little convinience products apart from tinned tomatoes/passata  , tinned chickpeas or other beans , coconut milk ,  tinned condensed milk and frozen peas

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 18 Jun 13 1:51pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Meat Free Mondays has been around for a while and I've been doing it forever.   We've made a sincere effort and will continue to strive to eat less meat.  I do follow a paleo-style diet so I do not wish to obliterate meat from my diet but eating less red meat in particular provides a lot of benefits.  We go a step further and assign a day for fish, and a day for salad too.  We used to assign a day for pasta too but that's out now hehe.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Jun 13 5:26pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I actually didn't realise it had been around for so long! It's certainly not meant to be a way of getting people to eat the level of veg they should, but I think more simply just about putting across the idea of having at least one day of the week with no meat, which some people don't even consider doing until they get involved.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:05pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Our weekly meals are a mix of meatless, a touch of meat for flavor (prosciutto, smoked salmon, chicken stock) and dishes that stretch fish/chicken/pork to 1/3 portions.  We could both be happy on a mostly vegetarian diet if we could eat fish and cheeses, believe me - all we need is pizza once in a while and that doesn't need meat!

We eat beef maybe once every three weeks, if that and if it's a pot roast, we'll freeze portions and have it two days in a row.  Everyone knows, it's best the day after it's made, so for those who make their pot roast on Sundays, move the meatless day to Tuesday and all's right with the world.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 18 Jun 13 6:07pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:31pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Merlin wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I actually didn't realise it had been around for so long! It's certainly not meant to be a way of getting people to eat the level of veg they should, but I think more simply just about putting across the idea of having at least one day of the week with no meat, which some people don't even consider doing until they get involved.

Call me an Anarchist...but I like to choose what day/s of the week I'll be going meat free....Thankyou very much... tongue

Likes (0)