Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 07 Jul 13 5:32pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

shall I venture in yogurth sauce ?????

It's  some days I often think I should try making a whatever sauce using my homemade yogurth but always end eating it with fruits.
I think I would start by crashing garlic in the mortar, with salt and then add mint, evo oil and drained yogurth at the end ...... what more???? and to go with what cucumber maybe, I must find  the moment when all ingredients ask me to go into the sauce before I eat them separately

help, suggestions, experiences, different tastes, real tsted recipes, are welcome, but above all homemade kitchen experiments wink  big_smile  think  cool

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 07 Jul 13 5:39pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: shall I venture in yogurth sauce ?????

I like this blend for savory yogurt sauces for fish - yogurt, garlic, cilantro/coriander leaves, green onion/scallions, cucumber, lemon juice.

Some people salt and drain the chopped cucumber, but I usually don't bother since we eat the sauce immediately.

Likes (2)

#3 Sun 07 Jul 13 7:15pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Yoghurt with a blend of indian spices, a squeeze of lemon juice...

Marinate your chicken pieces (Your choice, though wings won't work..)

Grill or BBQ, luvverly..... big_smile

Likes (2)

#4 Sun 07 Jul 13 9:40pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

grazie big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 08 Jul 13 1:36pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

This is a recipe for tzatziki - it's wonderful served with grilled meat dishes, as a spread for bread, and I even like to put it on my rice.

Make sure to strain your yogurt well in a cheese cloth.  Also, grate one cucumber, no seeds.  Put it in a colander and stir in some salt.  Let it sit and then strain that well in a cheese cloth.  This is important because if you don't strain it it will make your yogurt sauce very watery.  Add as much finely grated raw garlic as you can handle.

The big secret that many people seem to forget is olive oil and red wine vinegar, plenty of both.  And don't forget to season with salt.

Furthermore I like to add herbs.  My favorite is fresh mint.  You can add parsley, and dill with scallions is very common in greek food.

Likes (2)

#6 Mon 08 Jul 13 1:37pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Oh, and if you're looking for new things to do with yogurt besides fruit, have you tried eating it with honey and almonds?  It's the food of the gods.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 08 Jul 13 2:04pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Ready your post has made me think about getting out my yogurt machine, I have had mixed success with it, the children say they don't like it because its "grainy", should i strain it, if so how.

Thanks  Gem

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 08 Jul 13 7:47pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

grazie  all of you for encouraging me with wise tips  big_smile
- children always have something to say with homemade versus bought things, but later when the food you ususally do becomes familiar they discover it's much better than ....... go on experimenting Earthmum, sieve it with a linen on a colander in the fridge, if you like, do it without machine and enjoy it, I bought 1 lt milk just now to make it again
and honey and almonds must be heaven thumbsup

Likes (0)