Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 08 Oct 13 9:59am

Grace Foo

From Cambridgeshire
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Shop smart

Turn the left over pot roast meat loaf for my lunch sandwich.  Brilliant! Great flavour and full of satisfaction! That is how I save with Jamie! Yeah!!!

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 01 Nov 13 5:58am

mwakem

Member since Fri 01 Nov 13

Shopping....what absolute fun it is!!

The worst thing is all those things you forget and have to go back for, or the ones where the last one has been taken from the cupboard and used (you know, that last tin of tomatoes....).

My clever hubby came up with a solution for me that seems to work and so I thought I would share.

Buy a small sample pot of blackboard paint (the kind you can draw on with chalk when it dries), open a pantry door, and paint yourself a shopping list you can't lose!!
Make sure everyone in the house understands that if they open the last one of anything, they have to write it on the list.....I keep a piece of chalk on the front of one of the shelves, so no excuses for not adding to the list!

Copy your list to a scrap of paper before you go shopping (or for the more techno savvy, take a pic!) and there is no excuse for forgetting what was on the list!! big_smile

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 01 Nov 13 11:53am

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Love that idea mwakem! We do have a blackboard in our kitchen but it has a tendency to get covered with doodles and rude words.

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 15 Nov 13 5:44pm

Kat0633

Member since Sun 07 Apr 13

I have access to a "wholesale" and have discovered that buying in bulk is not always cheaper!! A lot of supermarkets are competing and engaged in a price war, the wholesalers do not participate and turn out to be more expensive. So, if you have a wholesale card, watch out and compare kg-prices (or pound prices) before you buy. Also do not forget to add the VAT as the wholesale price is exclusive VAT.  puke

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 15 Nov 13 5:49pm

Kat0633

Member since Sun 07 Apr 13

I prefer to cook every day but sometimes don't feel like it. Instead of going out for a take away or junk food, I cook "double" frequently. For example, when I make a stew, I make a double portion and freeze it. Same with soup. Whenever I don't feel like cooking, there is "good food" in the freezer which I just have to warm up. Cheaper and healthier.

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 24 Apr 14 12:05pm

nauman.ahmad.3323

Member since Thu 24 Apr 14

I would say that you should eat quality food and do not prefer low food over quality.

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 02 May 14 5:01pm

Peckham

Member since Fri 02 May 14

I recommend to save money to find special offers or buy one and get one free!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 02 May 14 5:48pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I'm a couponer. I routinely get about $100 to $150 worth of groceries a week for about $35 to $45.  I try to menu plan as well so that I am not letting any fresh fruit, veg or meat go to waste.

Likes (0)