Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 24 Sep 13 10:47am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Waste less

Whizz up bits of bread that might not otherwise be used in the food processor to make bread crumbs and store these in bags in your freezer so they are always ready for use.
Or make crisp dry croutons in the oven and store these in airtight jars.

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 02 Oct 13 4:36pm

cynchalax

Occupation Stay at home Mommy and Wife
From Largo, Florida
Member since Wed 02 Oct 13

I have LOTS of tips.  I make our family's bread and I find that sometimes the last inch or so has gone stale, I just cube it and place the cubes in a container in the freezer--I can take whatever amount I'd like for breadcrumbs or croutons at a later date.  OR I can use them for (my favorite) a delicious savory strata with leftover veggies, meat, eggs and cheese or a sweet one with cinnamon and sugar.
  In the freezer, I also save up the skin and ends of onions, celery and carrots along with any chicken or meat trimmings/bones.  Once my container is full, I just throw it all in a stock pot full of water and spices and a few hours later I have what my family lovingly refers to as "Trash stock".  The onion skins give it an extra rich color.
  Any leftover cooked oatmeal is added to bread dough, or into a smoothie for extra creaminess.  Speaking of smoothies, any leftover  fresh greens, berries, apples, etc. are waiting for me in a freezer bag to add nutrition to mine and my children's smoothies.   yummy

Likes (2)

#23 Wed 02 Oct 13 4:53pm

cynchalax

From Largo, Florida

My ice-cube trays allow me to freeze individually sized portions of things such as extra lime juice, leftover wine, or garlic-scape pesto.  Then, I am able to use what I need as the recipe calls for.

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 02 Oct 13 5:03pm

cynchalax

From Largo, Florida

Oh! And I have a dedicated pitcher in my fridge to save up the last of the coffee in my coffeemaker (no matter how small of an amount).  Makes for delicious--and practically free iced coffee, that is better than any I can purchase around here.

Likes (2)

#25 Thu 03 Oct 13 3:15am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Wow! Thanks, Everyone, for your gr8 "waste less" tips!  thumbsup

Also!...Welcome to, Jamie's Forum; Fiononi & Boobella & Cynchalax! wave

Cynchalax! When I worked at a Café 2yrs ago - we would save coffee in a squeeze-bottle to use for our refreshing yummy iced coffees (or mochas - which are chocolate + coffee) too! For smoothies, I preferred using fresh bananas (or frozen mixed berries), as, the cook would freeze bananas too - which weren't as sweet though!  mrgreen

Likes (4)

#26 Thu 03 Oct 13 11:51pm

cynchalax

From Largo, Florida

Thanks Kiwi Kris--as you can probably tell, I am so excited about this form and JO's new Cookbook.  I have been dreaming of something such as this for years!  I love creativity in the kitchen and I often think of the Native American Indians using all the parts of their hunted game when I am doing the same in my kitchen   mrgreen Hahah, though I understand mine is not as amazing and on a much smaller scale.

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 04 Oct 13 6:20am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Thanks for your reply, Cynchalax! I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the Forum & lovin' Jamie's new Cookbook! cool Happy cooking/baking to you & your family in sunny Florida!  big_smile

Likes (2)

#28 Fri 04 Oct 13 6:23am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

I carry on any vegetable leftovers, or stalks from cauliflower, and once or double a week I rotate them into vegetable soup, which I then freeze in single portions for a quick lunch.

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 04 Oct 13 4:27pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

davidjackson wrote:

I carry on any vegetable leftovers, or stalks from cauliflower, and once or double a week I rotate them into vegetable soup, which I then freeze in single portions for a quick lunch.

Absolutely love that one. Do you store them all together?

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 15 Nov 13 5:56pm

Kat0633

Member since Sun 07 Apr 13

I also make my own stock, my son (11) really prefers home made soup. When we eat broccoli (or other cabbage), I put the stalks in a freezer bag for recycling in the soup later. They can be shopped in small chunks (vegetable soup with vermicelli) or they go in the pea soup (mixed). These days I tend to cook a bit less for 3 (so less gets waisted), on the odd occasion if we still have an appetite I make (rice)pudding or a smoothie. For that purpose I keep left over fruit (dark bananas) in the freezer. Put them in the blender (frozen !) and add some fresh fruit…. best smoothie ever!

Likes (0)