forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 08 Sep 13 10:26am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

The night before the weekly shop fridge clear out ideas

Along the lines of the shop smart, cook clever and waste less threads, this inelegantly titled threads is for those of us who usually shop once a week and have that evening where there is some sad vegetables left that you want to use up.

Any ideas welcome.

For us the end of week loners tend to be a potato, a carrot or two, some snow peas and maybe a zucchini and an end of kumera. Chips in the oven for the potato and kumera, carrot sticks and snap peas to snack on. Zucchini with garlic a la fifteen minute meals. Usually served with meat or a defrosted stew.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 08 Sep 13 1:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: The night before the weekly shop fridge clear out ideas

" a potato, a carrot or two, some snow peas and maybe a zucchini and an end of kumera."

What would I do with those?.....
Hmmmm....
Ok I think I would peel and chop the potato , kumera/sweet potato  and carrot in to tiny cubes , aprox 1cm in size and saute them with some onion also cut small in a pan with a little olive oil untill almost cooked ( you might want to add that sweet potato just a little later as it cooks faster )
I would slice the snow peas finely and chop the courgette/zuchinni into little cubes  and add these to the carrot and potato so that they are cooked as the potatoes and carots finish cooking.
I season it towards the end of the cooking.

I would serve this with a fried egg on top or
for you White rabbit you might also like to add some of that 'mmm bacon' !

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 08 Sep 13 1:38pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

A potato, a carrot and a zucchini can be thrown in a roasting pan along with some garlic, herbs and olive oil.  Roast and serve alongside a simply cooked protein.  Throw in the snap peas near the end of the roasting time.  I don't know what a kumera is.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 08 Sep 13 3:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

kumera is sweet potato koukouvagia , so that could also be roasted with the other things

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 08 Sep 13 8:54pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Noodle dishes - rice noodles or a gluten-free Italian-style pasta are good for those times.  Good cupboard items - chicken stock, canned tomatoes, soy sauce, sesame oil.  I will usually make a cheese sauce for pasta and mixed vegetables.  I like to keep at least one type of frozen green vegetable for when I run out of fresh.

For sweet potatoes, you could make muffins, baked sweet potatoes (my favorite) or mashed sweet potatoes and freeze any you can't use up right away.  If I'm baking sweet potatoes, I bake all that I have and freeze some for another meal.

Potatoes -turned in to potato pancakes or rosti and served with smoked fish, sour cream or apple sauce make a nice Sunday supper.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 08 Sep 13 10:00pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

A frittata is also a good idea - and works well with most vegetables.  Also, with the addition of an onion and some stock, you could make a leftover soup for the freezer.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 08 Sep 13 11:01pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I would like to host you TWR when your fridge is empty and let you and your children run around my orto to choose what you want if you are not sure you like that we can jump into my messy car and while i water or weed you crop something from my campo, after chatting with neighbors and saying many ciao come va?  to those on bicycles we could come home and make supper with still an orchestra di crickets (grilli??9 singing outside in the dark
wink  big_smile

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Sun 08 Sep 13 11:02pm)

Likes (1)

#8 Mon 09 Sep 13 12:04pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Thanks for all the ideas and the invite mada.

Does anyone else experience the end of week clear out or do you shop more often? What do you normally have leftover?

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 09 Sep 13 12:55pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

The White Rabbit wrote:

Thanks for all the ideas and the invite mada.

Does anyone else experience the end of week clear out or do you shop more often? What do you normally have leftover?

I don't usually do a weekly clear out because I shop every day.  It's one of those habits I've learned to form so that it gets me out of the house and walking on a daily basis, and pick up only as much food as I need.  But I do clear out the fridge and freezer every once in a while because some things do accumulate.  I never know what to do with jars of relish after we've had hot dogs, we don't eat it on anything else.

If you have bits of cheese you can make a fondue or a cheese ball or throw it into a mac n cheese. 

I do a freezer purge every couple of months and I usually find odd cuts of meat that I throw into a roasting pan or into a pot for stock.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 09 Sep 13 1:04pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

GREAT thread TWR - I would have gone for a sauted dish of cm cubes myself, and cracked a couple of eggs in at the end. Heaven.

M x

Likes (0)