Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 04 Nov 13 5:35pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Coffee, coffee, coffee

Hello everyone!

I am excited to announce that I have been taken on as a contributor to JamieOliver.com to write a monthly feature about one of my favourite things in the world - coffee. Many of you I know aren't quite as head-over-heels for it but if any of you are, my first article went live last week and I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on it.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-blo … er-coffee/

Thanks all,
M x

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 04 Nov 13 7:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Coffee, coffee, coffee

Merlin, I had trouble making a comment so I will put it here.

That was an interesting article.

The best coffee I've had was in Indonesia.  I loved how smooth, rich and almost chocolatey it was, without any bitterness.

How do you feel about gold filters?  I always felt I could taste the paper filter when we used them in the past.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 05 Nov 13 12:30pm

Merlin

From London

Hey MsP, that is really interesting - I have never come across gold filters before, but after looking into them online I am definitely interested in trying one! Would you recommend them?

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 05 Nov 13 12:31pm

Merlin

From London

(also, what troubles were you having with the comment system?)

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 05 Nov 13 12:38pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

hi Merlin

I would recommend a gold filter, so much easier to use, had mine for goodness knows how long and still going strong.

Gem

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 05 Nov 13 1:15pm

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Same here love my gold filter, dont know what I'd do without it.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 05 Nov 13 1:27pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am lucky enough to live within 15 min walk of a roastery that roasts every day with many single origin beans and blends. They do single cup pour over of the single origins as well as all the regular espresso drinks and having light and dark roast blends , and decaf  brewed in larger quantity.   The single origin beans are really good but they do a killer Americano too.  Done well , I personally with go for an Americano most times but I want the shot  pulled into the hot water.  When the water is added afterward it isn't as good.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Tue 05 Nov 13 1:37pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I live in coffee central. Four cafes that roast their own in less than 50 metres.  Most single origins. I must admit I'm not that much of a purist. I'm happy with either my stove top espresso or my French press. I had a machine but gave it to my daughter. It was a matter of coffee space or Magimix space on my kitchen bench. The Magimix won. She got the machine.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#9 Tue 05 Nov 13 2:21pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Merlin wrote:

Hey MsP, that is really interesting - I have never come across gold filters before, but after looking into them online I am definitely interested in trying one! Would you recommend them?

The beauty of them is they're very durable and easy to clean.  I am not really sure I can discern if the coffee is any better though. smile

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 05 Nov 13 3:55pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

One of the best coffees I've had is Greek coffee.  A Greek lady made me a cup the old way.  Took her a good 5 minutes, putting the small pot on the fire then off the fire then halfway on the fire.  It was well worth the wait.   It was bit thicker and very strong but in a good way.

I have a gold filter and it pays for itself in just a short while.  Don't have to keep buying paper filters.

Likes (0)