forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 11 Dec 13 1:18pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

The process of dying isn't fun, or can it be?

I was at a conference recently. One of the theoretical therapies that seem to be working very well on mice that was mentioned was stem cell therapy.
Well what happens, is if you suffer from a genetically abnormality, they can take out some of your stem cells from your bone marrow. Fix what is broken in them. Give you chemotherapy to kill off the stem cells inside you. inject in the modified stem cells which would be able to implant because the stem cells you had previously had been killed of. And then they can grow, and turn in to other cells that need replacing due to damage or death.
This is already being used for some conditions. And works very well for others. They smashed up the muscles in a mouse. Treated it with this, and in 7 days the mouse was back to normal. Well no one is saying it would work this well on people. Humans are a lot larger than our furry friends and we have a much slower growth rate. But even if the process would take 7 years for us lot, it would be amazing. Things that we never ever thought curable can be cured.
Well this is still in its infancy. It is only being used for a couple of conditions. And because it is so revolutionary it would take decades before it could be considered for conditions that can currently be controlled by conventional medication and surgery. Because of the risks involved such as the stem cells turning in to cancers instead of the cells you want them to turn in to.
Chemotherapy also has its draw backs.
But even so, it is a long term cure for conditions where the only long term prospect that is currently available is death.

So I explained the treatment to my son. And asked him, if this treatment is released on trail for his condition would he consider it?

He said no, because he doesn't want to be cured. He likes to be treated, so he wont get worse. But he doesn't want to loss his condition.
I asked why?
And then he mentioned all the fun things he gets to do in hospital and by organisations that run activities for children with life limiting conditions.

Star light provide Games Consults to children's wards in hospitals. They also grant a one off wish to children with life limiting conditions. They go to children's hospices and hospitals and entertain kids. They also give kids toys. They have parties and they probably do other stuff to that I can't remember.

Anyway they emailed the families that get help from them, And asked us to vote for them so they can have access to some funds. Can you all vote for them too and ask others to do it as well? Being ill isn't fun, but what can be better than to provide ill kids with so much fun, that they have second thoughts about ever being cured?

WE NEED YOUR VOTE NOW TO WIN A £100,000 PARTNERSHIP TO HELP OUR STARLIGHT KIDS. With only a few hundred votes covering the top three, we need every single vote. Please vote NOW (every click counts) and please share the link with all friends:
www.london-lutoninthecommunity.co.uk/vote-starlight/

Likes (2)

#2 Wed 11 Dec 13 2:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: The process of dying isn't fun, or can it be?

Done!

Best wishes to you and your family!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 11 Dec 13 7:29pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Done!

Starlight is a great charity. It brings a lot of joy to a lot of sick kids and their families around the world.

"Make a wish"!

Last edited by Maree (Wed 11 Dec 13 9:56pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 11 Dec 13 9:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

me too  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 12 Dec 13 1:07pm

Maree

Forum champ

I'm bumping this up.

Does anyone know how often one may vote?

Adit: I just went to "Terms and Conditions" on the link (it seemed to count my second vote, btw) but was none the wiser about how often we are allowed to vote. It is late here, though, and I'm exhausted. I might well have missed something.

Last edited by Maree (Thu 12 Dec 13 1:11pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 12 Dec 13 8:15pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Done!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 12 Dec 13 11:33pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

I'm not sure, but I have voted repeatedly.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 12 Dec 13 11:58pm

Maree

Forum champ

abdullahcohn wrote:

I'm not sure, but I have voted repeatedly.

Just voted again. Seemed to work  crossed

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Dec 13 12:02am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Done!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 14 Dec 13 8:53pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I went to vote....but was informed that the vote is now closed.

Sorry to have missed it.

Likes (0)