forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:13pm

Mels1958

Member since Fri 21 Mar 14

Allergy to Cumin

I love Moroccon food but am allergic to cumin.
Can anyone suggest an alternative rather than just leaving it out?
I can't take turmeric either. question

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Allergy to Cumin

Welcome to the forum Mels1958

Being allergic to Cummin must be a real nuisance as its in quite a number of foods .
Untill now if never heard of an allergy to Cummin .

As you are also allergic to Turmuric I feel that this question is best asked to your dietitian as there may be other spices you are also allergic to.

I presume you have undergone allergy testing from a qualified medical practitioner . Have they been able to advise you about foods to avoid ?

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 21 Mar 14 1:14pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Did some googling and Chilli powder and paprika kept popping up so maybe try that or even a bit of both....

but like mummza says it may be best to check with your Dietitian as you my also be allergic to these and i would not want to cause you ill,..    smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 21 Mar 14 11:32pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I can't think of a substitution for cumin, and if I was cooking for you, I would simply leave it out, but maybe make up for it with a bit extra of the other spices that are sure to be in your Moroccan recipe. Same with turmeric, but I would probably add in saffron (which might have been substituted with turmeric in the first place!). It is more expensive, but you deserve it!

Likes (0)