Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 May 14 6:52am

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

what is your favourite street food

what will be your replies. my favourite definately will be pita bread, filled with something like veggies,chicken,pork,lamb ad greens. smile

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#2 Mon 05 May 14 8:49am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: what is your favourite street food

Sorry, don't eat takeaway food smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Mon 05 May 14 9:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

We don't get much street food in the area where I live , I live in Wales .

It's really good in London , where you can get all manner of cuisine from the street food stalls. Last time I want to a street food vendor in London they were selling jerk chicken and rice n' peas . I bought some for my son . I had to wait ages I a queue as it was such a popular stall. The chicken was being cooked in huge lidded drum BBQ's .

For me , I love falafel in a pitta bread with hummus and salads

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 May 14 11:58am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Kibbeling and chips.   Sorry to my UK friends but the Dutch do better fish and chips imo  wink  whistle

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 May 14 12:14pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Maree wrote:

I was once asked in a takeaway 'restaurant' whether I wanted to eat it now or take it away? My response was "I'd prefer to do both".

But to answer the OP's question, I've eaten street food in many places in the world but if I had to choose which was the best, I'd be reluctant not to pick the mutton kebab served in pitta bread with a yoghurt sauce adjacent to the Corniche in Doha back in the 80's.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 May 14 12:18pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired

Ashen wrote:

Kibbeling and chips.   Sorry to my UK friends but the Dutch do better fish and chips imo  wink  whistle

You have never been to Yorkshire! However, I hate to admit this but the best fish and chips I've had were purchased in Ambleside (Lake District). I took my wife there for a carry out and we ate the meal in a local park before we went back for another portion.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 05 May 14 12:23pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired

Ashen wrote:

Whenever I visited Holland, my first choice on the street cafes would be lumpia. Wonderful.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 05 May 14 1:06pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Maree wrote:

In my experience street food and takeaway food are 2 different things.

There are many street fares that happen here in nyc and my favorite is the tandoori ovens they set up in the middle of the street.  There is nothing, NOTHING like waiting around for that big skewer of chicken drumsticks to come straight out of that oven and into my hands.  Mouth. Watering. now.

Also I like the good old ny style sausage and peppers sandwich, an italian sausage on a hoagie roll topped with sauteed onions and peppers. 

And who can forget the funnel cakes!

We order chinese take out once a week here, can't do without!  I  prefer eating sushi at a restaurant but will order it at home if I'm having a craving.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 05 May 14 1:09pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Oh, also food trucks in NYC are exploding right now.  If you walk around midtown in midday you will come across the most amazing food trucks, everything from crabcakes and lobsters to real burgers and slow roasted bbq, lots of fusion like Thai Tacos or morrocan bbq, and raw food trucks.  It's simply quite amazing. 

If I'm walking down the street and I happen to see the big yellow Waffles and Dinges food truck I stop whatever I'm doing so that I can indulge in a chewy hot belgian waffle topped with spekuloos.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Mon 05 May 14 1:10pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 05 May 14 1:36pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree wrote:

In my experience street food and takeaway food are 2 different things.

If it's food that can be eaten other than at a table with cutlery, I define it as takeaway smile.

There's lots of street food happening here, too, and food trucks have been big here for more than five years.

I choose to eat healthily and I neither snack nor eat between meals.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (2)