Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 17 May 14 9:16pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Celebrating 10 years of the forums! Share your favourite recipes

I have been given virtually all the lad's books....& never use them but for a picture book when it's grey & rainy outside..........they are full of sunshine & life.

I 'found' Jamie when he was a tousle-haired urchin of a 'naked chef' with a lisp.
I thought he was funny, so I watched him. His enthusiasm for food, friends & life was infectious.............from him sliding down his spiral stairs on the handrail, to whizzing about on his scooter, & to being messy & cheeky to the crew filming him cooking.

Through that early filming, we were 'introduced' first to his mad mates, then the girl he would marry...........we were part of a young man's exploration into a wonderful world of possibilities. We watched him grow up.

Of all the books......& all the tv shows....it is The Naked Chef I still love the most.

As for the forum, I had been dipping in silently since it first started......I didn't join as a member because I'm an old-fashioned cook & thought I had nothing to offer the fora.
I joined as a result of the Save Your Bacon & the Happy Chicken campaigns, I already followed Huge Wobbly-Trumpington & his River Cottage adventures, & I was so outraged at the thought of Sows imprisoned in Sow Stalls, I had to become a member & say my piece.

The rest for me is history. I made friends. I still have those friends.
We don't always agree, but it isn't important.....we share, & that's what the fora are about.

Likes (1)

#22 Sun 18 May 14 12:31am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Min, you said it all ... Loved "being part" of that cheeky, tousled headed, hoop-throwing, spiral staircase sliding, Vespa riding, lisping kid from Essex's life ...

Might drag out the Naked Chef DVDs tonight ... Will probably fall asleep (put on *any* DVD at night, and I'm guaranteed to fall asleep) ... Will make a change from falling asleep to the "Friends" DVD boxed set I was given for last birthday ...

Not a criticism, but an observation from someone who (if she'd been an infant bride), is old enough to be his Mother (very nice lady by the way- his Dad's very nice, too), I wish he'd lighten up a bit these days. The many and varied campaigns are honourable etc (and, of course, he's grown up ... married with four tousled kids of his own etc) but ... Sorry, "Food Fight" I just don't get (but that's probably "just me").

Last edited by Maree (Sun 18 May 14 12:32am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#23 Sun 18 May 14 9:41am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Maree wrote:

but ... Sorry, "Food Fight" I just don't get (but that's probably "just me").

No, not just you Maree. I've been trying really hard to like it as I need a new dose of JO.  I've found his Christmas specials to be the best shows lately with his family and friends.

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 18 May 14 10:02am

Maree

Forum super champ

SherylS wrote:

Maree wrote:

No, not just you Maree. I've been trying really hard to like it as I need a new dose of JO.  I've found his Christmas specials to be the best shows lately with his family and friends.

That makes me feel a bit better smile.

"Save" was not one of my faves, either (too chaotic and fragmented for my tiny brain wink ). The Christmas shows are my recent favourites, too.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 18 May 14 10:30am)

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 18 May 14 1:16pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We were overseas when we first saw 'The Naked Chef'.  Like Minerva has stated, watching the various series has felt like watching someone grow up, meet a girl, get married, have children.  It's wonderful that Jamie has used his fame to further good causes such as animal welfare and the food revolution.  I've seen most of the TV series and have some of Jamie's beautiful recipe books.

I looked for one of Jamie's recipes online, found the forum and decided to join.  The best things about the forum have been  meeting people from around the world, many who have remained friends, having some laughs, getting cooking advice, recipes and sharing photos.

Jamie's 'Chicken Cooked in Milk' is a favorite dish.  It's easy to make and requires only a few ingredients.  The Rotolo with butternut squash, spinach and tomato sauce is a recent favorite using homemade pasta.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 21 May 14 12:34am)

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 18 May 14 1:23pm

SherylS

SherylS wrote:

Maree wrote:

Oh, and I loved, loved Jamie at Home.....

Likes (1)

#27 Sun 18 May 14 2:04pm

Maree

Forum super champ

I found his home. Recognised it from the programme. Didn't even take a photo, seemed like "too much" intrusion and disrespectful. I slowed down but kept driving ... a "Sunday drive" ... It's in my head smile.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 18 May 14 2:07pm)

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 18 May 14 2:11pm

SherylS

Good on you Maree..

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 18 May 14 2:12pm

Maree

Forum super champ

SherylS wrote:

Good on you Maree..

Can't take that away smile

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 18 May 14 2:53pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

My favorite JO recipe is from his book "Jamie's Food Revolution", Chicken Korma. I cook it at least once a month, sometimes more. My second fav would be from the same book, his roast chicken. I recently made it for my son and his girlfriend and they loved it (sorry JO I took credit for it!!!).

Likes (2)