Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 27 Jun 14 11:02am

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

russian cuisine

what do you love about this cuisine,never tried it, until i ate sweet knedli,can you share any russian recipes here. hav tried redbeet soup [borsch],never tried blini,would be bglad if you help me find any recipes related to this cuisine.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#2 Thu 21 Aug 14 3:29pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

Re: russian cuisine

I was in Russia recently and really enjoyed the food. Blini is basically the Russian version of pancakes, traditionally served with sour-cream and jam. I also tried a savoury blini dish that was basically a thin oversized pancake stuffed with a vegetable mix, sides gathered up and tied with a spring onion.

The following version of blini is from a handout our tour-guide gave us:

Russian Blini

Ingredients:
*About 1.5lbs flour
*4-5 cups milk
*3tbs butter
*2 eggs
*2 tbs sugar
*1 tsp salt

Preparation:
1) Take two cups of warm water and add half of the flour and mix until smooth.
2) Add salt, sugar, eggs, melted butter and mix thoroughly
3) Add remaining flour a little at a time and beat until smooth. Gradually add milk, mixing batter completely. The consistency of the batter should be quite thin, but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon
4) Heat up a pan and brush with butter. The traditional way is to dip half a raw potato in melted butter and wipe it on the pan.
5) Add the mixture and swirl the pan to so that a thin layer of batter coats the pan. Flip with the sides begin to brown.
6) Serve with jam, caviar, apple sauce of any other stuffing you wish.

Last edited by Chanr (Thu 21 Aug 14 3:29pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 22 Aug 14 12:31pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

Re: russian cuisine

wow thanks now i know how  i can make them,fingers crossed for other great russian recipes... they are tradionally served with borsch and i will be happy to see a recipe for it, i remember that a year ago we made some enjoyed it,though...

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)