Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 03 Aug 14 5:15pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

Re: August 2014 Challenge!

bread pudding.yum.i once made it with aunt,yum!

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#22 Sun 03 Aug 14 7:06pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I would say this is a 'general' memory, not a specific one: friend chicken!  This is not my mama's fried chicken.  I did a boneless, skinless breast wet with just water and used a chicken coating (from a box i'm not a hero here lol).  I had left over mac-n-cheese from last nights dinner and a fresh dish of green beans.  Green beans were one of my favorite foods growing up. We grew them and I'd eat them straight off the plant.  My mother would cook hers down to mush. I prefer mine crunchy....

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 03 Aug 14 8:25pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

i prefer my beans crunchy too...

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#24 Sun 03 Aug 14 11:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Food memories of childhood: vegetables, when they are put on at lunchtime for dinner, are mush. It was quite a revelation that cauliflower wasn't grey and mushy (or didn't have to be) and that vegetables could have texture. Salads that consisted of lettuce and a quartered tomato and (maybe) a cucumber (sliced)- which I still loathe. No dressing. Chops and sausages incinerated. Chops with an inch of fat (*shudder-*) still attached (probably the most tasty part).  Dessert, boiled rice with milk poured over and sugar sprinkled over the top (still crunchy). Maybe tinned fruit on top. Yuck.

Probably just about everything that you might have noticed that I absolutely loathe foodwise.

Sorry, but I'm not about to recreate them. You get the idea. At least we ate. More than many did at the time.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 03 Aug 14 11:52pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#25 Mon 04 Aug 14 12:48am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

Maree I understand.  That is how I felt about most meats until I was about 30 or so. I even became a vegetarian for about 3 or 4 months. I started craving meat, I started cooking it in a different way than my mother did. REVELATION! Meat did not have to be cooked until it was shoe leather. I found I preferred steak medium, not burnt. (I use to cry as a child if a steak was on my plate, literally. I went for a sleep over at a friends house and they served steak I was horrified, my mother had to call them an explain why I cried through dinner.)  Now I love meat. I can still use the same spices, but cook it my way. Same for me on the veg my mother cooks it all until mush. My fond food memories are the seafood dishes, the real cajun stuff.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 04 Aug 14 12:58am

Maree

Forum super champ

That didn't turn me off meat, Coco. It turned me off black and burned meat. I rarely eat it these days but when I do it has to be blue to the point where it has 'just' stopped mooing or baaing. It also turned me off brown or black food (except lentils and squid ink). We very rarely had fish (Good Friday was about it) or seafood (Dad- he did the cooking- would curry some prawns if one of his mates had caught some. That turned me off 'messed about with' food). A shrink would have a field day with me and my food 'things'. As for 'mixed vegetables'  puke  puke  puke

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 04 Aug 14 1:02am

Maree

Forum super champ

... I think I've more than made up for a childhood deprived of fish and seafood. I eat it in some form or another at least five times a week (even if it is occasionally a tin of tuna eaten from the tin, while standing over the sink when I get home at some crazy time and can't be bothered cooking for myself)  wink.

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 05 Aug 14 1:41pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

It's by no means pretty but it is the childhood dish I eat most often. Rice, warmed with milk plus brown sugar.

Likes (1)

#29 Sun 10 Aug 14 12:00am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

This is something we had a lot. It's easy with literaly 3 ingredients (4 if you count the salt).  It's easy to adjust to taste. If you love the onions, the more the better. If not, then do the minimal. You can eat it with rice, like we do, or solo or with another veggie. I will give you the recipe...but no measurements as I  don't think you need them...it's really about what you like. Easy to cook, in a sauce pot use enough oil just to coat the bottom, throw in the onion and layer the chicken on top. You want to cook on a medium/low eat and really let the onions slowly cook.  Cover and cook. Stir every now and then to get the chicken cooked on all sides.....When cooked serve over rice.

Sticky Chicken
Chopped onions
Chicken (I prefer chicken thighs but you can use any or all parts)
cooked rice
salt
pepper if you like

This is my version....I had boneless, skinless thighs so i chopped them up. I also marinated them in Evoo and pinot grigio (not my momma's chicken).

Likes (1)

#30 Sun 10 Aug 14 12:04am

Maree

Forum super champ

So, Coco, it's kind of caramelised onions with chicken? Is that right?

Likes (1)