Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 12 Aug 14 12:57am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Advice needed from the Americans

Going to America soon. I have some friends there. Have the addresses of a couple of my friends there, but I am going to a completely different part of America from where they live. I was thinking of sending them a presents when I get there. Stuff they sell here that you can't get over there. Cheap stuff because I am stingy. And I would save on postage by sending it from a different state instead of a different continant.
What stuff do Americans like that is sold here but you cant get there?

I am confused on the issue, because everything is made in China whether here or in America isn't it?

Here is London. What do I need to get them?
They sent me stuff for my kids.
I am not sure if I can buy stuff for their kids, cause everything is made in china and what I can buy here they can buy there?
Any ideas?

Likes (2)

#2 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:09am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Advice needed from the Americans

I wouldn't even have a clue what you can't get here other than food items. Grocery stores have very limited food from England.

If they are into books....copies of their favorite books as the covers and sometimes the content are different than those printed here.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:15am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

The only thing I know that is made here is scotish shortbread and tea. You lot don't have much tea there do you? I mean stuff like Earl grey? That doesn't cost much and weigh much so I can buy end send for very little. And cause of the posh name, it would look like I spent loads of money!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:16am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Food might be tricky, isn't there loads of laws governing bringing in food items?

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:17am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House

Going to orlando, if I can't think of anything. I would probably just buy some shiit from Disney.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:55am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Tiptree jams or Seville marmalade? I'm in Australia but where I live (now) it's difficult to find Tiptree and Seville marmalade can't be found. Being in glass, these might weigh too much for you- but those little Tiptree jars should be OK- the kind you find on breakfast tables in the UK at B and Bs/ some pubs.

I've not taken food into the US (aside from Vegemite and coffee) but I know how difficult it is getting foodstuffs into OZ. So long as it's declared on entering the country, is unopened and is commercially manufactured is usually OK (but *not* "fresh" goods- fruit, veg, dairy, meat etc). I can't imagine the US being stricter than here smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Tue 12 Aug 14 2:11am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

We have many different teas here. You can buy Earl Grey, not sure if it's like your Earl Grey. I have found English Breakfast, Earl Grey....

I live 4 hours from Disney!

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 12 Aug 14 2:12am

limey77

Member since Fri 25 Jul 14

Going to Orlando you'll have no problem with pre-packaged goods as long as it's not meat or cheese (although my mother always smuggles some good English cheese over when she goes!).

I visit Orlando every year as my parents spend the winter their and my wife's parents live in Bradenton on the west coast. Most of what we have over here can be bought in America now, although it is often expensive.

My NY friends always ask me to bring over Hobnobs and HP sauce, the Colmans mustard powder might be a good idea as well.

Depending on the age of the kids you could always pick up some Paddington Bear (there's a live action movie coming out soon) stuff or original Thomas the Tank Engine stuff.

Don't know where you're based, but in the Westfield London there's a cool stand that has cells from kids TV shows and films that aren't to expensive.

If you're looking for a good restaurant to go to in Orlando, rather than just a chain, you should take a look at Chatham's Place:

http://chathamsplace.com

It's a great little restaurant that I've been going to for the last 25 years.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 12 Aug 14 7:02am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I was waved past us customs with home made cake. He looked annoyed that I tried to declare something.
Food into Australia is tricky but packaged stuff is usually ok here too. I just sent tea and packet biscuits into the us by post and that went fine.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 12 Aug 14 5:04pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I would steer clear of tea and marmalade.  It's not just common here, we have the U.K. brands.  Many people have a 'meh' reaction to both.  For some, it would be a punishment, for others, it would be 'oh, ok, you thought I had no other ideas about Britain other than tea and marmalade, wow, great, thanks (feigns excitement and appreciation).  Then, you will hear their coffee/tea habits and whether or not they eat breakfast.  Seriously, do yourself a favor . . . bring chocolates.

I really liked the British flag tea towel a friend sent me.  I will never use it as a tea towel, it's too nice, but it makes a great table runner.

eta: The same person sent me a wonderful hand-painted vegetable cleaning brush.  It is safe to use and I do and every time, I think of her.  It's almost a crime to use it.  MrP thinks so.

I hope this opinionated mess was helpful.

eta:  Have a fantastic time!
lol

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 12 Aug 14 6:45pm)

Likes (0)