forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 24 May 05 1:07pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

lunch box

My daughter the other day had a healthy eating lesson, so the teacher asked who brought in lunch boxes in to school, to show her what was inside them. My daughter was the only one with pure orange juice and a kiwi, small bunch of grapes, and a banana, and a sandwich  big_smile . All the other kids had fizzy drinks chocolate and all that rubbish  :x .

Heres a few ideas to make a day before to put into the lunch boxs:

CORIANDER CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS.
(instead of a sarnie).
serves 8.

8 chicken drumsticks
2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander(optional)
1 small pkt of plain crisps
75g/3oz cheddar cheese grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
25g/1oz softened butter

HOW:
preheat the oven to gas mark 5, 375f, 190c.

sprinkle chicken with coriander and leave for 10mins.

crush the crisps, with the cheese, garlic and butter. smear onto the chicken and bake for 25mins until golden and crisp. Cool and wrap individually.

BANANA FLAPJACKS.
Makes 8-10

3 Large bananas
40g/1&1/2oz dark brown soft sugar.
125g/5oz butter
4 tbsp golden syrup
200g/7oz rolled oats.

HOW:
preheat the oven to 190c,375f,gas mark 5.

grease a shallow swiss roll tin.

peel the bananas and cut into chunks.

gently heat the brown sugar, butter and golden syrup, stirring occassionally until the butter has melted. Stir in the oats and bananas. press into the tin and smooth out. Bake for 35 mins, remove from oven and mark into squares. leave to cool in tin for 10 mins then cool on a wire rake. wrap in batches.

You could even make Pizza.
Any other ideas welcome(lets share) big_smile  big_smile

Likes (2)

#2 Tue 24 May 05 1:38pm

young mum

Forum champ

Re: lunch box

Here's one i found in an old J O forum.

PIZZA SWIRLS.
(omit bacon for vegetarians).

1 sheet of puff pastry.(take out of fridge for 20 mins before).
1 cup of grated cheese.
2 tbsp pizza sauce.
2 rashers bacon, fat & rind removed & diced.
1 onion diced.

PREHEAT OVEN AT GAS 5,

Spread your pizza sauce onto the puff pastry, sprinkle with cheese, bacon, onion, roll your puff pastry up like a swiss roll, then slice into 2cm slices, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake for 20 mins until puff and golden.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 24 May 05 3:18pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I sometimes make pasties for my children's lunchboxes.  Their favourite fillings are:

1 tin tuna mixed with chopped spring onions, black pepper and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or plain yoghurt

diced bacon, dry fried, add 1 tablespoon plain flour to the pan, milk to make a sauce, and mixed veg (frozen is fine if you prefer)

If made with ready made plain pastry, roll the pastry out really thinly (I try to get it thin enough to see the pattern on my plastic tablecloth wink ), cut into circles, and put 1 teaspoon of filling in the middle. Fold over and seal, using water or milk, place on a tray in a hot oven for about 15 minutes (or until golden brown).  I make really tiny ones, and make a variety of fillings - that way you can get a lot of pasties from one pack of shortcrust pastry.  I often use stewed fruit as a filling as well. If you give a variety of differently filled pasties, it can add an element of surprise!

Another favourite is a flask of vegetable soup, or my youngest likes to take in a flask of risotto.

Likes (2)

#4 Tue 24 May 05 3:28pm

young mum

Forum champ

8) never thought about pasties, thanx for sharing, they are great. my daughter does take soup to school as well. big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 24 May 05 5:06pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Here's a couple of other ideas!

I make vegetable "crisps" from time to time, using a potato peeler or a cheese slice to get thin strips.  It's easy with carrots, parsnips, potatoes, beetroot and sweet potato - you just shave some slices, spray some oil over and put them in the oven until they're crispy - really yummy (and for the grown-ups, too smile ).  My eldest likes cherry tomatoes stuffed with cream cheese, garlic and herb substitute (it's made from soya, as we're all lactose intolerant), and I sometimes make a hummous with added avocado for a dip to go with fresh vegetable sticks.

Likes (2)

#6 Wed 25 May 05 10:45am

young mum

Forum champ

Hi oliviascotland, could you please post me hummous recipe, as i have thought of that one, but don't know how to make it :? . your ideas on veg crisps are great.

p.s. thanx for sharing.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 25 May 05 1:37pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

I don't know if it's authentic hummous - I read a recipe ages ago in a magazine, and did what I remembered  wink but it tastes good!

1 small can chickpeas, drained
1 clove garlic
salt & pepper to taste
lemon juice, about 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon plain yoghurt
flesh of one ripe avocado

Put it all in a blender and whizz until smooth.  Serve on pitta bread, or as a dip with veg sticks.

I sometimes experiment adding different flavours or spices, (cayenne pepper's quite good if you like a kick), but that's my basic recipe.  It's quite mild, so children seem to like it, and I've used it as a sandwich filling as well.

Good luck!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 25 May 05 1:41pm

young mum

Forum champ

thanx for that olivia, never used chick peas before i'll give it a go cheers big_smile  wink

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 25 May 05 1:48pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

That's OK - pulses are so full of vitamins and minerals, that I like to sneak them into as many dishes as I can without the children knowing!!  Hope it works well for you  lol

Olivia

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 25 May 05 1:53pm

young mum

Forum champ

olivia, have you made any other dips for the kids? if so i would love to know as im new to all this cooking lark, ive changed all our meals since the show, and learning heaps from you guys.
cheers  8)

Likes (0)