forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Wed 18 Jan 06 8:56pm

4ndy123

From West Lothian
Member since Wed 18 Jan 06

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

Yo

I'm new to this site but already loving it.  Theres just so much stuff on here i didnt know especially in the recepies section.

I want to be a chef no doubt but could any recommend any culinary arts schools in or near Scotland.  Or a link to a few websites.  I know i want to put the time effort and money into training but i want to make sure i go to the right place and do the right course

I'd appreciate any help
Ta, Andy

Likes (0)

#42 Sun 22 Jan 06 8:11am

benp

From Australia
Member since Sun 22 Jan 06

To Mr. Oliver and all aspiring chefs,
Hi, my name is Ben and currently I am 15 years of age. I simply love to cook and food is one of my main passions in life. I love going to food markets and looking at the vast array of quality produce in front of me. I particularly enjoy experimenting with new flavors and ideas and love to create my own dishes.
Hence, my interest in a career as a chef evolved. So I proceeded to e-mail work experience applications to many of the top restaurants in Sydney. To my surprise, I received 2 responses to which I acted upon. After working for a week in each I discovered just how dam hard it is to work as a chef. It is a completely different ball game to cooking at home.
My advice to all is simple. Don't make my mistake and allow yourself to become infatuated with the idea of becoming a chef, or becoming the next Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay. Firstly, find yourself some work experience in a commercial kitchen and discover for yourself whether a career as a chef is the right choice for you.
Even though I would not like to become a chef, food is still a major passion in my life. Furthermore, please do not allow my advice to discourage, but to inform you of my experiences.
Good luck
Ben

Likes (0)

#43 Tue 24 Jan 06 5:45pm

alv

From Philippines
Member since Tue 24 Jan 06

Hi! I was very inspired with your post. I know now that,I am in the right path of my career,because I like what I am doing, I am happy and I have passion for this.

Hi! guys, Can you give me a list of baking and pastry books, that I can really research about baking not just only recipes. thanks. lol

allan

Likes (0)

#44 Thu 26 Jan 06 1:23am

Sniper75

From Edinburgh
Member since Thu 26 Jan 06

Hey guys,

This is my firat post in the forums.  Jamie is absoloutly right with the age thing.  I started chefing 4 years ago and am now 30 !!!  Chef De Partie in Itchycoo (radisson SAS) Edinburgh under Christer Larsson, who is a very well known and criticaly acclaimed chef from New York.

I have been VERY lucky and have worked Very hard to get to where I am now and am loving EVERY minute of it.

Jamie if you read this m8, I was in touch with Peter Begg about a position in 15 and would like to extend my best wishes to him and thank him for all his kind words and direction.

Who knows.......maybe one day you'll open that bloody restaraunt in Edinburgh and gimmie a job !!!

wink

Anyways, keep up the good work m8 and any questions from anyone on becoming a chef, I'll try to answer.

Cheers

Steven Todd

Likes (0)

#45 Fri 27 Jan 06 12:29am

martin1183

Occupation full time collage catering
From chesire
Member since Tue 17 Jan 06

jamie how have you got your cerea off the ground i am 15 and have been cookin scine i was 5 as my gran told me i think i ghot it off he could u tell me waht i need to get started big_smile

Likes (0)

#46 Fri 27 Jan 06 2:43am

Sniper75

From Edinburgh

My suggestion would be to hit college.  Do NVQ's 1,2 & 3, then look for a career in chefing.  Do NOT lower yourself to anything less than a 4 star hotel or 1 rossette restaraunt !!!

It will be VERY VERY hard going, but WELL worth it.

Stick to one place for at least 1 year before moving on.

Get as many different styles and places under your belt as you can, but write EVERYTHING down.

Timings, ingredients, suppliers, costings, hygeine laws, knife techniques.......EVERYTHING !!!!!!

When you get home, do a diary.  This way you will remember a LOT more and move up faster.

once you have some experience and your NVQ's, ask oor Jamie for a placement.

All the best and remember, if they aint shouting at you, you're doing it right !!!!!

wink

Steve

Likes (0)

#47 Fri 27 Jan 06 8:14pm

blackbelt Ad

Member since Fri 27 Jan 06

Hi Jamie, I would like to become a cooking demonstrater when i'm older (as i'm only 14) any advice is greatly appreciated  wink

Many thanks
Adam

p.s. love 'Jamie's Italy' and got it as a Christmas present. Been inspired ever since. Thank you

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 29 Jan 06 2:19am

João

From Madeira - Portugal
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Hi Jamie,

same times it could be to late to change. I start to cook at 11 years old to help my mother, just the basic. My first love.... cakes. Than when i finish the college i went to Madeira and i got some some friends that love to cook and eat... i start to cook different meals, more elaborated plates...

And now i know... I love to cook, but it's to late to be a chef...

I have learn a lot wiht you on TV..... yes, in Portugal we see your shows....

Likes (0)

#49 Sun 29 Jan 06 6:45am

Sniper75

From Edinburgh

I was 26 when I started chefing and had NO experience what so ever.  I'm now 30 and am working with some of the worlds best chefs.

I have served Vin Deisel, Christina thingy, Black Eyed Peas and many more, including Zara Phillips (royalty).

So I say It's NEVER too late if you realy want it !

:P

Likes (0)

#50 Tue 31 Jan 06 10:24am

candykong

From China
Member since Tue 31 Jan 06

oops Hi,Jamie
  I am from sichuan China。Maybe i am a little shy。But I really love cooking。My mum and dad are good cooks。When I was a little girl,I can cook simple Chinese food。Once I was watching TV,I noticed your 《THE naked chef》,It is a cool name。Luckly,my mum and dad doesnot understand what it means。If they knew ,they would have killed me。
   ÃƒÂ£Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã… OLIVER’S TWIST》IS so cool。I introduced it to all my friendsï¼?every saturday night I would stay at home and wait in front of the TV。
    My English isnot very good。I don’t know how to speak the spices’names and the varities of cheese is difficult to me。so I asked for your help:would you pease tell me the names of the friut and vegetables and spices,thank youï¼?ï¼?ï¼?ï¼?

Likes (0)