forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 06 Oct 06 8:38pm

fozz

Member since Wed 27 Sep 06

need to know if you really are interested in a petition to Blair.

i posted an item last week on here about meals on wheels, and it was to see if it was a good idea to put up a petition to save meals on wheels from going from fresh food to frozen processed meals , which they (the elderly and vulnerable)would have to cook for themselves (god knows how they will perform this task when most of them have been assessed and deemed incapable of cooking for them selves , its all about money).

To show me if its worth my while trying to keep fresh food as a choice for the elderly, could you please give me a hit on this post so that i can see how many people on here care , it just might get the attention of government one day, thankyou  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 07 Oct 06 6:43pm

April-Shower

Forum champ
Occupation Laboratory support technician
From Cheshire
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Re: need to know if you really are interested in a petition to Blair.

Hi Fozz yes its absolutely right to campaign on this matter.  I dont know anyone personally that requires meals on wheels but it is a must for alot of people so go for it neutral

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 09 Oct 06 1:06am

fozz

seems not many people on here are prepared to stand up for what is right ,just remember we will all require this service one day,just think even prisons get better meals than the elderly will if this carrys on and they go for frozen processed meals. sad

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 09 Oct 06 9:02pm

fozz

This is an e mail i have sent to every councillor in sandwell what do you think?

It seems that people in prisons will be getting better meals inside than the elderly of Sandwell when the proposed changes come into action next year, if the people deciding the proposals get their wish.

Frozen processed meals are being proposed to cut costs, what happened to choice and health is this not going to breed ill health, hidden fats and preservatives that will help clog the heart, damage liver, kidneys and confine them to a lonely existence without the day to day contact they get from the current service.

Hidden costs to this new service they propose have not been shown in their new way of thinking, for instance home care will have to return to many people throughout the day to cook the meals in the microwave for those who are not capable of such a task.(which will be many and will continue to rise as they get older and less mobile)

Consider this how often will these people get a freshly prepared and cooked meal if this new regime gets its way?  answer is never all they will get once a fortnight is a delivery of frozen processed meals to reheat. The current service hot food provider guarantees that people get a hot snack , the new proposed service does not guarantee that it will be hot because it has to be cooked by the person receiving the meal and there for cannot guarantee the temperature will be correct and safe to eat.
question

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 10 Oct 06 2:46am

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Fozz,  I think what you're doing is great.  I'm not from the UK so I didn't post at first.  You are to be commended for taking action on this issue.  Everything you've said I agree with 100 percent.  Good luck to you.

Ann smile

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 10 Oct 06 5:36pm

fozz

Thankyou ann at least someone appreciates what i am trying to do  smile

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 11 Oct 06 12:00am

fozz

Oh well thankyou for all those who visited this post and left a comment i really wish there had been more it would have given me some idea as to how much people cared . hmm

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 12 Oct 06 11:45pm

fozz

sad  sad  sad  sad  sad

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Oct 06 12:08am

phyre

Occupation Git
From chelmsford
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Hello. This is only my second post but I truely think that this is an important issue. For starters I dont want to get to my old age and end up with a nuked tray dinner with bullet like garden peas stuck into the welded on treacle pudding and custard. This isnt fair. Everyone is entitled to a decent meal and for a lot of old people this service is an absolute lifeline. Not only does it provide a source of healthy nutrition for someone who isnt totally capable of making it for themselves. It allows some independence and also someone visiting everyday brightens the day of some very lonely people.
Go for it fozz you have my vote smile lol

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 13 Oct 06 11:03am

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

If a petition was passed around I would definatly sign it, there's a 92 year old lady living next door who walks slowly and can barely hear, god help her if she has to cook for herself. sad

Likes (0)