forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 08 Oct 06 8:07pm

katebirtwistle

Member since Sun 08 Oct 06

catering for kids

Hello,

I am putting together a buffet for children (5-12 years)  I don't want to dish up chicken nuggets and pizza, I would like to serve something a little more interesting but need things that kids can eat with their fingers.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 08 Oct 06 8:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: catering for kids

katebertwhiste, welcome to the forums  big_smile
I would personaly serve the children the same as you would like to eat . I have never been a great belever in 'childrens food'. Many children will eat samosas and onion bajee, or other spicy items.
'pigs in blanket' would probably go down well.
you could do little bagle topped 'pizzas' they are a bit different.
What about BBQ chicken drumsticks.
mini things are always fun, by that just I mean smaller versions of things.

hope this helps. big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 09 Oct 06 12:17am

cutezangel

Member since Wed 14 Jun 06

Hi, What about Chicken kebabs, you can add anything you want to, mushrooms, pepper or cherry tomatos.
smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 09 Oct 06 1:41pm

tetley

Occupation supermum
From North Dordogne, France
Member since Thu 05 Oct 06

why not just have lots of 'bits'; cold meats rolled up and on skewers, grapes and cheese sticks, bread, carrot, celery etc sticks, ...usual stuff really...
and why not have chicken nuggets?...just make your own...with parmesan breadcrumbs or something? the kids love stuff like that....
I always find it best to keep it simple, if it is a party, they are usually to keen to get on and play, and after all your hard work, it can be disheartening to see all the leftovers!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 10 Oct 06 3:20am

metomasso

Member since Tue 10 Oct 06

Hello,
I am  a start-up and LOVED Jamies article on banning packed lunches.  I'm a packed lunch alternative, where I provide healthy lunches to kids, but am running out of ideas that appeal to kids  in that they arrive at school chilled/cold.  Schools do not heat up the lunches, therefore, I have to ensure I provide items kids will eat cold.  Chicken nuggets are a hit even though they are chilled, atleast for the majority.  I also do, pasta salads, hummus and pita chips and all kinds of fresh veggies and fruits.  Does anyone have any additional menu items they have found successful amongst kids in this setting? (Cold lunches).

Thank you!
Monica

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 01 Feb 07 3:08pm

scoobydog

Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

katebirtwistle wrote:

Hello,

I am putting together a buffet for children (5-12 years)  I don't want to dish up chicken nuggets and pizza, I would like to serve something a little more interesting but need things that kids can eat with their fingers.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 01 Feb 07 3:16pm

scoobydog

Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

Hi I am looking for ideas for healthy party foods for kids that they will actually eat! Trying to keep away from all the fried foods and want some different but fun ideas.
Many Thanks

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 01 Feb 07 3:52pm

Swediswannabe

Occupation Cook
From Gothenburg - Sweden
Member since Wed 16 Nov 05

Childerns food is different. They are new to this life, therefore they have not grown boored with the general life of tastes. They generally want clean food, with clear tastes. With clean food, I meen: Fish without skin and bones. Bread without alot of seeds in 'em.

For example, if you do burgers. If you decide to add onions into the meat, then mix them into puré, no onionpieces in the burger. Mix the meat as well, to truly remove any "gravel" from the meat.

However, it is a birthday party. And you cannot have the kinds beeing forced to eat their veggies, like you can at a normal dinnertable (which you should). This is food for kids that should make them go hyper. Don't destroy this for the kids, just because there is a social concience about the crap we have served them for 2 generations now.

Eating cucumbersticks and peeled carrots is rarley partyfood. And since you are here, then I am guessing that your kids have not grown up with healty food. Then they sure as herring won't like to get it on their birthdays.

Try to get them to enjoy good food, but take your time, and don't force it into them.

Let hamburgers rule kids birthdays.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 01 Feb 07 8:39pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Homemade maccaroni and cheese/mini meatballs with dips/I make my own chicken strips with crushed cornflake crumbs/quesadillas/make your own foot long subs/fruit kabobs... my kids like it when I make little triangle sandwiches, one side whole wheat the other white or?? I have done puff pastry sticks, the longer the better. You can sprinkle cinnamon sugar or cheese or some herbs... but still have a few goodies too. Good luck, and have a great party!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 21 Apr 07 1:15pm

EvieMT

Member since Mon 02 Apr 07

For dessert I'd put together a platter of various finger sized peeled fruit pieces: banana, strawberries, melon, etc. Drizzle with a bit of milk (or white) chocolate or honey. Use little toothpicks for the children to choose the pieces they like. They don't eat very large amounts (most of the time!!) so if they can pick what they like, it helps to keep waste at a minimum.

My son will open a sandwich to see what's in it and then leave it if he doesn't like it or doesn't know what it is. I didn't teach him that or approve of it but he still does it. So I think it is a good idea to serve things that look simple and familiar, even though they might not be. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to serve.  smile

Likes (0)