forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 18 Oct 06 6:13pm

fozz

Member since Wed 27 Sep 06

Re: need to know if you really are interested in a petition to Blair.

Its been in the news today that homecare around britain cant cope with the demand of house to house calls to elderly people. Only allowing 15 minutes with a person thats not enough time at all, you cannot blame the homecare staff who are over worked and under paid, its the system.

I work with homecare staff and they all agree with me that taking away daily visits like meals on wheels, is a disaster waiting to happen.

So we have a situation were mr Blair and his people want less contact for elderly people and junk food to eat. sad

Last edited by fozz (Wed 18 Oct 06 6:14pm)

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 19 Oct 06 2:06am

fozz

It seems that disney have recognised that junk food should be off their menu at disney land lets see if it happens. hmm

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 19 Oct 06 9:07pm

April-Shower

Forum champ
Occupation Laboratory support technician
From Cheshire
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Hi Fozz have you sorted out a petition yet question   I dont get on here much now due to work/children.  Read the email you sent it sounded very good & precise.  Hope you manage to get things turned round neutral

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 20 Oct 06 1:14am

fozz

Hi april-shower im working on it, hopefully it will get up and running shortly watch this space, hope you find time to get some rest smile

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 21 Oct 06 1:48am

fozz

Here is an e mail i found on a blogg it tells the story of why meals on wheels needs to stay fresh food delivery.

True life example of what could happen when the elderly are faced with a frozen meal option. Sit up and take note !! It is not to late to save the valuable meals on wheels service.

Monday will be a public holiday, so mum and dad have been delivered some frozen Meals on Wheels to tide them over the long weekend. Which reminds me of this fact: Meals on Wheels is the greatest bulwark we have against mum and dad's further decline.
I cannot remember when we started using Meals on Wheels, but it was over a year ago.
We discovered that mum and dad's diet had degenerated to something near bread and water levels. We probably should have seen the warning signs earlier, but in those days we still assumed that what we didn't know was fine. Both mum and dad were getting thinner (though few see this as a problem these days), paler, less energetic, and less cheerful. It was only when we saw the evidence of their diet that we put the whole picture together and realised that they were already some way into serious malnourishment.

During the day they were eating biscuits [note: given that over 90% of this weblog's readership is American I now wonder whether I ought to be saying 'cookies'], crisps (potato chips) and chocolate. Dinner was literally bread and butter. The only commendable part of their diet was that dad still occasionally brought home a few apples and oranges.

Our (Regan's) first step was to order frozen Meals on Wheels, which were delivered in weekly batches. This almost immediately proved to be a bad idea. Not only were mum and dad not able to shop properly, we now discovered that they could no longer prepare their food either. The frozen meals simply accumulated in the freezer, the fridge, and even in cupboards. Every time there was a delivery, dad would call one of us in a panic.

'You won't believe this, but someone has just come round here and left a huge, a really huge, stack of food for us. We're never going to be able to eat all this food. Where's it coming from, anyway? We didn't order this. We haven't got the money to pay for this. Mike, you've got to speak to these people and tell them,' here he switched to the pedantic lecturing mode that we all know so well, '"We do NOT, I repeat, NOT want any more of this food". It's ridiculous, what they're bringing here.'

We thought things might settle down pretty quickly but they didn't.  I wished aloud it was like it used to be in the old days, when Meals on Wheels delivered hot dinners to the oldies, hunched over in their terraced houses, watching 'Crossroads' on TV. I mentioned this to Regan, who told me that if that was what we wanted, Meals on Wheels were quite able to comply. The frozen service was an 'as well as', not an 'instead of'.

Mum and dad soon adapted to the hot deliveries. They'd be sitting either side of the table, knives and forks held vertically, watching the minutes tick away and, presumably, salivating like Pavlov's dogs. There were a few adjustments to be made before we got the size of the meals right. Dessert is in, soup is out. Fruit juice is in. Mum rarely finishes her main course without encouragement (which she does not get from dad) or help (which she does get from Tippi). The desserts are often put into the fridge and eaten later, but otherwise things are just right now. I'd go much further: I'd say that Meals on Wheels is the one social service that has turned out an unmitigated success. Without it, mum and dad would surely have to be in a home by now.

The meal deliveries are just the basics. It is the embellishments of the service that are most impressive. All the volunteers I've met have been exceptionally nice to mum and dad. They often bring little sachets of cat food for the cats too, and of the four birthday cards dad got this year, one of them was from the Meals on Wheels people, covered in signatures. All for $6 a day. I rang them and thanked them for it. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 22 Oct 06 1:12am

fozz

Heres a bit of fun for a change instead of gloom and doom.

Cats and Heaven

A cat dies and goes to Heaven. God meets him at the gate

and says, "You've been a good cat all of these years.

Anything you desire is yours, all you have to do is ask."

The cats says, "Well, I lived all my life with a poor
family on a farm and had to sleep on hardwood floors."

God says, "Say no more." And instantly, a fluffy pillow appears.

A few days later, 6 mice are killed in a tragic accident
and they go to Heaven. God meets them at the gate with
the same offer that He made the cat.

The mice said, "All our lives we've had to run. We've been

chased by cats, dogs and even women with brooms. If we could

only have a pair of roller skates, we wouldn't have to run anymore."

God says, 'Say no more.' And instantly,

each mouse is fitted with a beautiful

pair of tiny roller skates.

About a week later, God decides to check and see how the
cat is doing. The cat is sound asleep on his new pillow.
God gently wakes him and asks,

"How are you doing? Are you happy here?"

The cat yawns and stretches and says...

"Oh, I've never been happier in my life. And those
Meals on Wheels you've been sending over are the best."

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 26 Oct 06 8:15am

April-Shower

Forum champ
Occupation Laboratory support technician
From Cheshire
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Brilliant exclaim  smile

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 26 Oct 06 2:39pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

I enjoyed that too.  Hi April!!  smile

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 27 Oct 06 10:14am

fozz

Hi ladies how are you both glad you like the joke im still plodding on and still waiting to here from mr Blair and Co, just keep a look out on both my subjects i have put on jamies site. smile

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 27 Oct 06 10:50am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

I would sign it, I used to do a lot of voluntary work with old people, and meals on wheels is often the only contact some of them have with others.

But I don’t think it would have any affect, since when have politicians cared about what people think?

I say, Cromwell got it right when it came to lobbying politicians.

Likes (0)