Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Fri 10 Nov 06 11:44am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Re: Dave Barkers Christmas Kitchen...

All that talk of Christmas booze reminds me of a great recipie for Northern Italian Mulled wine that another chef friend told me about...

This Italian mulled wine is a standard part of winter festivals in northern Italy and is traditionally served with panettone.

VIN-BRULE ITALIAN MULLED WINE...

INGREDIENTS

3 bottles Italian red wine (about 2.25 litres)
zest of 3 lemons
3 cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
1 cup sugar

METHOD

Pour the wine in a large pot.

Add the lemon zest cinnamon, whole cloves, and the sugar.

Heat until it just begins to simmer, but don't boil.

Strain and serve in ceramic cups.

Dave B

Last edited by DB27 (Fri 10 Nov 06 11:45am)

Likes (0)

#42 Fri 10 Nov 06 4:43pm

Kaff

Forum champ
Member since Fri 11 Feb 05

Mmm, this is a fab thread. I made the flavoured butters from Jamie's CD last year- they were delicious.

I'm making a list of edible Xmas presents at the mo- well, edible and drinkable!  big_smile maybe I ought to go for some of Anna's vodka!

Likes (0)

#43 Fri 10 Nov 06 6:46pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I take carrots/parsnips/turnip and cube them all in somewhat the same size. I cook them altogether in chicken stock in order, parsnips being the quickest to cook.. when they are just done they are put in a large bowl and set aside. Take the reserved stock and and reduce to a syrup. When reduced enough to be able to toss all the veggies add a couple of lumps of unsalted butter. Put all the veggies back into the hot syrup and toss gently with italian parsley s&p as needed. Simple and doesnt compete with some other stronger flavored dishes you may serve.

Likes (0)

#44 Fri 10 Nov 06 6:47pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

In Switzerland we always used this reasonably traditional mulled wine recipe:
2 bottles (1.5l) good red wine (Swiss one if you can get it!  Merlot's good too)
50ml brandy or cognac
juice and pared zest of 1 or 2 oranges
2 apples, cut into chunks
the flesh of the oranges, cut into bits
a handful or so raisins
a teaspoonful of cloves
nutmeg
cinnamon sticks (2 or 3)
Heat the wine and add the spices.  Don't ever let it boil!  You'll burn off the alcohol.   wink Add the fruit and heat through.  Just before serving, splash in the brandy.

Likes (0)

#45 Fri 10 Nov 06 10:40pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi guys,

It's great that you guys are getting as excited about the food at Christmas time as I am, glad that you are enjoying the thread... and you guys are putting some great recipies and ideas on here too, thanks for that.

Keep them comming!!! it's great to share ideas and to compare different peoples traditional dishes.As well as finding new, fresh ideas for us all to try...

That is one reason why I love the community here on the forums...

All the best guys

Dave

Last edited by DB27 (Fri 10 Nov 06 10:47pm)

Likes (0)

#46 Sat 11 Nov 06 2:10am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I would love to buy a nice ham this Christmas but am confused with shank end/smoked/butt end/spiral, etc. I like to boil my ham so it's not too salty and like to be able to score the tops and add a nice paste of some sort. And is a ham not called a ham unless it's cooked first? So if you offer me advise I would be grateful! Thank you! I just want a nice juicy ham that tastes great and isn't dry. Oh, and besides the usual applesauce, what can you recommend to go with the ham?

Likes (0)

#47 Sat 11 Nov 06 1:08pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I did a ham last year alongside the turkey, it was really quite easy.  Never did it before, so went to the butcher and asked for a gammon (uncooked ham) to feed 12, then poached it in cider with some spices, and finally roasted it briefly to glaze it.  The glaze I used was half mustard, half honey with some pepper.  I scored the top too and in a twee manner added a clove in each diamond.  Because I served it alongside all the other usual suspects (turkey, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower cheese - had to be done -, cranberry sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, carrots roasted in honey, parsnips) I didn't worry too much about a certain type of sauce for the ham.

Likes (0)

#48 Sat 11 Nov 06 5:32pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

My family love a good parsley sauce  to go with ham:

2oz butter (or margarine)
2oz flour (or gram flour)
1 pint milk (or unsweetened soya milk)
salt & pepper
4 - 5 tbspns chopped fresh parsley

Melt the butter in a pan, turn down the heat and add the flour.  Cook until the mixture is sandy in texture and leaves the sides of the pan clean.  Slowly add the milk bit by bit, stirring continuously, until your preferred consistency is reached.  Season to taste.  Just before serving, add the parsley and stir well.

Likes (0)

#49 Sat 11 Nov 06 6:50pm

Kaff

Forum champ
Member since Fri 11 Feb 05

My fave ham is the ham in Cherry Coke from Nigella's Feast. Sounds vile, tastes fab.

Likes (0)

#50 Sat 11 Nov 06 8:59pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Anna,

Thank you so much! thumbsup

I think I have to give your mulled wine recipe a try too...We drink something called Gloegg in Norway which is pretty much the same stuff.But we tend to buy it already made in the supermarket and then just add some wine.

Last year I bought it from Ikea.. hmm

Confuzed

Likes (0)