forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 01 Feb 07 1:48pm

theresabritz79

Occupation Operations Manager
From Johannesburg
Member since Mon 16 Oct 06

Re: What kind of oil?

Personally I prefer Canola oil. The chips tastes better than when fried in sunflower oil and according to the label its lower in cholesterol too!
According to a book I read (The wrinkle free zone) sunflower oil is prossessed by our boddies into a harmful product that causes free radicals which in turn causes pre-mature ageing and wrinkles. The author says canola oil is better for your body.
Then again not everyone are health freeks like me...

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 01 Feb 07 1:53pm

KitchenWench

Occupation Usually a hazard ;-)
From Surrey and Germany
Member since Sun 28 Jan 07

I've always found Sunflower oil or Peanut oil (as long as you dont have a nut allergy) has been excellent and always crisps them.  I tend not to eat many chips as I have high cholesterol (not that you'd know looking at me)!!   My kids always loved my chips with a little salt but lashings of vinegar  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 01 Feb 07 4:06pm

woel007

Occupation student
From malaysia
Member since Thu 01 Feb 07

i am just a beginner.. what i think is palm oil? In my country ,Malaysia used it often. It is cheap and gives god aroma.. you may try it.

Any comment about my idea please kindly post it.. i wish to learn more about other cooking culture. thanks! Anything you all can email me by woel007@hotmail.com

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 10 Feb 07 12:33pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Bit of a trick i picked up from watching Alton brown.
When it comes time to change the oil in you deep fat fryer, always put a bit of the old oil back in with the new.  There is chemical change in the oil that takes place over time which is why fries taste better made in oil that has been used a few times.  A bit of the old oil will jumpstart that process and keep your fries tasting yummy.

as for what oil to use.. I know a few ppl that swear by canola , others prefer Sunflower. If i could Afford it i would love to use Grapeseed, but that would be a bit pricey. 

And as far as deep frying with Olive oil. I know many italians that only use olive oil for deep frying . As long as you are carefull with temperature control it can be used with amazing results.

Personally my fryer has Canola oil in it and it works very well.. Good neutral oil with high smoke point.

Last edited by Ashen (Sat 10 Feb 07 12:39pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#15 Sun 11 Feb 07 3:09am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I had to look up Canola oil - its not something we see in the UK.

Seems it genetically engineered rapeseed oil!

Hmmmmmm!

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 11 Feb 07 7:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

not quite Geoffp..   it was developed through a breeding program not through genetic splicing..     Basically it was genetically engineered like our parents engineered us  tongue
It is true that the resulting canola plants were then enginereed to be tolerant to certain herbicides that are used to lower the amount of chemical weed control needed.

read the fourth question and answer on the following link to get the full explaination.

http://www.canola-council.org/cooking_myths.html

A link about the nutritional breakdown and analysis of it
http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/Canol … _FINAL.pdf

At 7% saturated fat it is considered very heart healthy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)