forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 02 Feb 07 9:08pm

calagahan

Occupation Engineer and dad
From ooop north
Member since Thu 17 Nov 05

Help me.......

My kids love cheese and all kinds which isnt an issue, BUT my little un loves cheese Strings!!!!! the ingredients say 'just cheese' but is this right.

Please put our minds at rest, should we let him have a treat every now and then or should we lie and tell him they dont make them anymore help  help  help

Last edited by calagahan (Fri 02 Feb 07 9:10pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 03 Feb 07 3:45am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Help me.......

Check the salt content - it shouldbespecified onthe packet.

You could always make your own:-

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=String%20cheese

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 03 Feb 07 12:00pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

calagahan, welcome to the forums.

I would not worry too much,as long as it is an occasional treat.

As far as telling him that they are not made anymore, well I have always been very honest with my children. If I were you I would just tell him that you don't think that they are very good to eat all the time and he can still have them sometimes for a treat.

Last edited by mummza (Sat 03 Feb 07 12:04pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 03 Feb 07 7:50pm

calagahan

From ooop north

Thanks GeoffP... salt content is 0.75 g per 'stick' so there off the menu even though they are just a treat in the fridge for every now and then.

mummza thanks for your reply but please try not to be so patronizing. We do tell our children whats good or not too good for them.

big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 03 Feb 07 8:12pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Welcome Calagahan,
        That salt content is high, I don't blame you not giving them to the kids any more.
        I don't think Mummza was trying to be patronising, more like warning that the kids would catch you out as you walked round Tesco's, and saw them on the shelf !.
        Keep smiling,
            Ady.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 03 Feb 07 8:36pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I buy them on occasion, usually the lowest fat ones which I think are the mozza ones. My package says 140 mg, is that too much? They sure don't taste very salty to me lol  When my children keep asking me for certain goodies, I just tell them I only buy them on sale or sorry, it's not a healthy choice and offer an alternative just like you are doing I am sure. I don't take them shopping with me anymore either, lol.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 04 Feb 07 11:51am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

wrote:

or should we lie and tell him they dont make them anymore :help:  :help:  :help:

Calagahan, Sorry if you think that I was being patronising....I definatly was NOT.

You had read  in your posting suggested that you might " lie and tell him they don't make them anymore"
I was just pointing out that this is never a good idea and as Ady has said....'kids would catch you out as you walked around Tesco's, and saw them on the shelf !'

Last edited by mummza (Sun 04 Feb 07 11:53am)

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 09 Feb 07 9:00pm

calagahan

From ooop north

Sorry and point taken mummza.
The 'lie' bit was tongue in cheek... if the wife ever caught me lying to the rugrats it would be me in the fridge not cheese strings. oops

Last edited by calagahan (Fri 09 Feb 07 9:01pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 09 Feb 07 9:27pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

If your kids like stringy cheese try warming up some Buffalo Mozzarella mate...

Good quality Buffalo Mozzarella is worth serving on its own but can also be served with a good extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and some freshly cracked black pepper, or as a salad with tomatoes and avocados or with roasted red and green peppers and strips of sun-dried tomatoes.

On cooking mozzarella becomes extremely stringy and is the first choice of cheese to use in pizzas.

I always say steer clear of over-processed rubbish and get kids eating the good stuff.... there is always a realy good equivalent to most low quality junk foods!

All the best

Dave B

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 09 Feb 07 9:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Its ok calagahan, I am not one to take offence.

Likes (0)