forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 03 Feb 07 6:52pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Superbowl tomorrow night

Well, it's Chicago against Indianapolis - what will you all be munching in front of the tv screens - for those of you who love football (American that is) wink

Montana cool

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 03 Feb 07 8:56pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Re: Superbowl tomorrow night

I am invited over to friend's house so I guess I will just eat what ever they serve me! Hopefully there will be alcohol-a lot of alcohol?! wink

This is gonna be my first Superbowl party...I have never watched a match in my life and has no concept of the game what so ever!

Guess I am lucky if I still have any friends left here on Monday... whistle

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 03 Feb 07 9:18pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Confuzed, have a great time at your friend's party!  Just don't call the game a 'match' and you'll be fine. lol

I've been saved from this year's hoopla by an invitation to dinner.  I can't really support pro-football anyway, though I don't mind college ball. big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 03 Feb 07 9:35pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Eilen,

notes taken...Game game game! wink

Any more usefull information so I can come across less blonde that I am? lol  lol  lol

Oh this is gonna be one looong Sunday!
I am so close to bail out now...  whistle

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 04 Feb 07 12:28am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

You have to go! You never know, you might have some fun! Have one or two for me while you are there lol

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 04 Feb 07 1:40am

BigstU

Occupation Polar Bear Farming season finished, doing penguins now!
From South Pole
Member since Wed 21 Dec 05

Any colts fans out there, we gonna kick your a**!! wink  lol

This comes from the biggest bears fan in the Uk thumbsup

I'm watchin the game with a few friends and my brother who is most upset at the Cowboys getting beat in the play offs, haha loser tongue

Domino's pizza are doing our catering for the night roll

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 04 Feb 07 9:11am

Montana

Forum champ

BigstU - OMG - dominos, and the cowboys!  LOL

confuzed - you'll enjoy it. 

Cheer each time the Bears make a touch down - and you'll be fine! thumbsup  wink

4 quarters to the game and half-time is a big party - did I hear that Prince was going to be there (or is he singing the national anthem???). 

Stu - explain the rules quickly so confuzed can understand (not that complicated).

Kick off starts the game in the middle of the field, the team on offensive side has 4 attempts (called downs) to make a touch down, if they don't, the ball goes to the other team and then they have 4 downs to make a touch down.

Touch downs are worth 6 points.

You'll often hear 1st (down) and a number which is the number of yards to go to make a touch down, then 2nd and something, then 3rd and something on 4th and whatever if they are too far to score, they'll usually try a field goal (kicking the ball through the goal posts to score).

The quarterback is generally the best looking man on the field  lol  lol  and is the one to "pass" the ball (throws it). 

OK, Stu - you explain now!   wink  wink

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 04 Feb 07 9:14am

Montana

Forum champ

forgot - you won't see the dancing in the end zone (goal zone) as it was more or less outlawed  roll because it was néfaste and demoralizing for the opposing team... roll  roll

That's akin to asking the all Blacks to NOT do their Haka at the begining of the match (a bunch of bologna if you ask me!).  It's all part of the "game". whistle  whistle

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 04 Feb 07 10:27am

BigstU

From South Pole

You want me to explain the rules shocked  'goes away muttering under breath for a while about you being American and me being British!' lol

Ok then I'll try an take over tongue

The scoring

Touchdown 6 points
Field Goal   3 points
Then you have the conversions after you score a touchdown, you can go for 1 point which is pretty much the same as a field goal, or you can go for 2 points which is basically another touchdown except you only score 2 points thumbsup

On the field from 1 team you will have the defense, there job is to stop the other team from scoring. From the other team will be the offense, there job is to score.
The QB on the offense calls the shots, he will either throw the ball forwards, pass it back to a running back, or run it himself(not wise) or get sacked!! which is when the defense bring him down when he has the ball.

Each team per Quarter has 3 timeouts, this means they have 3 chances to stop the clock, very useful when close to scoring, but you have little time left to get your players on the pitch so you use a timeout and stop the clock.

The simplest thing to understand is that when time runs out, the team with the most points wins whistle
I'm sure they will show a quick run down to how the game is played on telly tonight, so watch carefully as there is far too much to explain here.

If you think they are wimps with all the padding on, think again Its a very tough sport, I played for 2 years and its very hard hitting!

I'm sure after reading this that everything will still be as clear as mud, to which I'm sorry for as its a bit too early on a sunday am to describe the rules to this whistle

One last thing as Montana said " cheer when the bears score, not the colts"

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 04 Feb 07 10:28am

BigstU

From South Pole

Montana wrote:

forgot - you won't see the dancing in the end zone (goal zone) as it was more or less outlawed  roll because it was néfaste and demoralizing for the opposing team... roll  roll

No, just look for the gorgeous cheerleaders instead whistle

Likes (0)