Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 07 Feb 07 3:04pm

SUSAN BROXTON

Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

ETHICS

Not sure if Jamie gets to read these personally, but just wanted to say how great his work is with the healthy school meals etc. and awareness of them .... HOWEVER, I do have a problem with the fact that he uses PATE DE FROIS GRAS extensively in his restaurants.  The barbaric way this so-called delicacy is 'farmed' is cruel beyond belief and I am very surprised that Mr. Oliver condones its use and, presumably, profits from its sales.  I wonder how schoolchildren would also view this?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 07 Feb 07 6:21pm

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

Re: ETHICS

Hi Susan, If you follow the link on the home page to Fifteen, you'll find viewable menus for all four of Jamie's restaurants

Can you please point out exactly where foie gras has been used in any of them.

Then could you tell me the difference between eating intensively reared chicken and eating good quality foie gras.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 09 Feb 07 4:34pm

SUSAN BROXTON

Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

Hi Pete,

It was reported in the national press this week that this pate is served in Jamie's restaurants.  Are you saying it isn't served in any of them?  I presume if this in eroneous that it will be pointed out to them and an apology printed.

I don't approve of intensively reared chicken farming either and this too is a cruel practice.  However, my post wasn't about this - if everyone refused to buy pate de foie gras this practice would cease.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Feb 07 10:23pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

That is true, people will vote with their money and buy something else.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 10 Feb 07 10:27am

Elvis Parsley

Forum champ
Occupation Checking your Missus out
From www.myspace.com/elvisparsley
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Many of the artisanal foie gras producers have a wonderful relationship with their birds, treating them very much like pets - Tony Bourdain writes interestingly on the subject.

I've only ever tried it once and it was delicious - I wouldn't eat it on a regular basis, but you'd never find me eating turkey "ham".

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 10 Feb 07 10:36am

mrs.arellano

Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

SUSAN BROXTON - PLEASE enlighten us with your SANCTIMONIOUS response to this PRESSING issue.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 10 Feb 07 4:46pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

mrs. arellano,  Where have you been?  We've missed you on here! smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 10 Feb 07 7:39pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

I would much rather eat foie gras than a battery chicken any day exclaim

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 10 Feb 07 8:33pm

amysheaves

From Living in UK for 2 years
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Jamie's wonderful work has been within the field of social & nutritional advancement.  Perhaps if people channeled the same amount of energy used to save the whales into saving our children, perhaps we could once and for all abolish the problem of obesity and diabetes that is now set to cripple the coming generations.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 11 Feb 07 11:08am

Lemrac

From Australia
Member since Sun 22 May 05

Have done a bit of searching around and have found no mention anywhere regarding Jamie's "Fifteen" restaurants serving anything controversial.

I did find an article that mentioned only one of fifteen (as in the number) restaurants in Copenhagen (in 1999) were going to take it off their menu after being threatened by activists. 

Does Susan Broxton have a source that she can back this accusation up with - "the press" is pretty general.

Likes (0)