forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 30 Jan 07 6:07am

StaceyB

Occupation Mom
From Canada
Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

Fennel vs Anise

Lots of Jamie's recipes call for fennel, but all I can find out here is anise. Can you substitute one for the other or are they completely different?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 30 Jan 07 8:17am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Fennel vs Anise

Fennel is sold as anise, or sweet anise in America & Canada.

The real Anise (from which we get Aniseed) is completely different.

Just abiut all the fennel plant can be used in cookery, while only the seed of true anise is used.

So, I strongly suspect that the anise you can buy in Canada is actually fennel anyway

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Feb 07 6:20am

StaceyB

Occupation Mom
From Canada
Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

Geoff, you are wonderful. Now I can stop pulling my hair out trying to find fennel! Before I asked the question, I made the minestrone from JO Italy and left out the fennel completely. It was phenomenal that way, so I can only assume it will be better with the anise/fennel.

Cheers Geoff - I am looking forward to making the beef bourguignon you posted.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 08 Feb 07 12:31am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I first tried fennel seed in some of Jamie's recipes, and I was amazed how much I liked the combination of oregano and fennel seed.
I am not sure where I bought it last time, as here in Germany fennel seed is not a common supermarket item either. I suspect I bought it at an Asian grocery store - they have a wonderful selection of spices. If there is one near you, check it out.
Anise tastes similar and will probably work, but be a little careful about the amounts, as I think Anise is a bit stronger than fennel and you don't want your minestrone taste like licorice soup ;-).

Likes (0)