Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 08 Feb 07 3:01pm

theweatherman

Occupation weather forecaster
From Devon
Member since Thu 08 Feb 07

making fruit cake

Hello,

I'm experimenting (badly) with making fruit cake - it's a great way of using up dodgy spirits left over from Christmas. The recipe I was following uses 600g of currants and raisins, and worked fine when I followed it to the letter.

I substituted this for dried apricots, raisins and cherries. I didn't bother chopping the cherries and apricots up. The cake then took a lot longer to cook than the recipe said it would and fell apart when I tried to slice it.

What I was wondering is should I have chopped the apricots and cherries up? Presumably this would have helped cooking time and prevented the cake falling apart?

Any help/tips much appreciated.

TIA.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 08 Feb 07 4:49pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: making fruit cake

This is guesswork, as I have never attempted that kind of fruitcake, but from German fruitbreads this is what I think might be the problem:

I am not sure about the cooking time, but I think it would hold together better if you chopped up the bigger fruit (apricots that is - cherries I think are not much bigger than raisins so that should not matter). You should not have to make them as small as the raisins though, just cut 1/2 cm stripes.

Did you soak the fruit with the spirits? Maybe the other fruits (esp. the big apricots) soaked up too much and that made the dough so soggy. Try not soaking them as long maybe or squeeze them out a bit before using and take the juice you sqeeze out for the liquid in your dough (to replace the water or milk or whatever)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 09 Feb 07 1:10pm

theweatherman

Occupation weather forecaster
From Devon
Member since Thu 08 Feb 07

Thanks. It's proving annoying this cake. When I followed the recipe it worked fine, but when I've changed the dried fruits it's not working. I've tried chopping the fruit up smaller, but it still isn't giving me a clean skewer after the cooking time. I'll leave it in for longer and see what happens, but I guess the thing to do is make the mixture less moist and, say, not use the liquid the fruits been soaking in?

Cheers.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Feb 07 5:57pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I am guessing that your dough gets to moist. I think it might be a good idea to try with less liquid. Then when you mix your dough and it is too dry add it little by little to not get too much.
Have you cut your cake open after baking to see the texture around the fruit? I sometimes make a traditional southern German fruit bread for Christmas and the skewer never comes out clean, but not because it's not done, but because of pulp from the dried fruit sticking to it (pears and prunes can get quite sticky). When I cut it up later the dough around the fruit usually has a perfect texture....

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 10 Feb 07 1:04pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

You would need to chop those things up, they are too large. Fruit cakes don't have much dough to hold it all together, they rely on small bits of fruit that all get coated in a little of the dough/mix and stick together. try finding  (google is your friend) a recipe that uses those ingredients.

Fruitcake making tips
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/christ … tcakes.htm

fruitcake in arush
http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1787088.htm

and probably the recipe you are after
http://www.recipezaar.com/205930

Likes (0)