Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 08 Feb 07 8:02pm

KT35

Member since Fri 29 Dec 06

I'm having a get together, and need ideas .....

I've arranged a Virgin Vie make-up party in 3 weeks time, there is going to be about 27 women here in my home.
I'm great cooking for dinner parties but unsure on what to serve for this.

Thinking along the lines of a cocktail party .... I'm thinking 6 bottles of Red wine, 6 of White wine, lots of dry Martini's and imaginative soft drinks for the drivers.

So can I have some ideas on food / nibbles ..... I was thinking of olives, some simple canapes, and dips.
Got one friend with a nut allergy, so no nuts in the kitchen at all, anywhere, nito..... and one who is a vegan.

Can someone also help me out with the dry martini ..... I have been told so many conflicting things and mine tends to blow heads off ..... and how much wine, as I'm really not sure.

Please, please ...... and many thanks in advance.

(I'm capable of cooking a 5 course meal for 15 on my own with no complaints so all ideas are valid no matter how complicated.)

Thanks guys.
Best wishes   Kate. xxx

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 08 Feb 07 8:27pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Re: I'm having a get together, and need ideas .....

Hi Kate!

I think you should go forward with the finger food idea. I am having loads of girl over this Saturday-and planning to do tapas.

I'm gonna do olives, patata bravas, pan con tomate, little meatballs made of chicken in a spicy tomato sauce, a couple of different dips-houmus and a cannelini dip, loads of bread, crackers, cheese, some saucisson sec and chorizo, grilled peppers in olive oil, tapenade, marinated artichoke hearts, tortilla etc...

That way everyone will find something they like!

Dunno about the wine thou...My friends drink a lot!!! whistle

Last edited by confuzed (Thu 08 Feb 07 8:29pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 08 Feb 07 10:05pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Crostini?  They're a safe bet as it's easy to make loads and everyone likes them.  Have you got Nigella Lawson's How to Eat?  All the toppings recipes in there are excellent.  I'll post them later.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Feb 07 4:49am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

For large groups i generally do trays of antipasto served with bread and crackers (that can cover vegan, i think). Fruit platters too. I'd avoid chocolate if you can because it generally has nuts in it.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 09 Feb 07 6:41am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Dry Martini
ingredients
1 2/3 oz gin
1/3 oz dry vermouth
1 olive

Stir gin and vermouth with ice in a mixing glass. Strain into a cocktail glass, add the olive, and serve.

Pizza Pinwheels

Brush Puff Pastry with tomato paste add chopped bacon, onion, capsicum, cheese, mixed herbs.

Roll pastry up and brush with beaten egg.

Slice with sharp knife into 1cm slices and bake on a lightly greased oven tray for 15-20 minutes in a hot oven until pastry is golden.

Wasabi Shrimp on Rice Crackers

8  ounces cream cheese, room temperature 
2-3  teaspoons wasabi 
1  lb shrimp, cooked 
chopped scallions 
1 (4  ounce) package rice crackers 

Mix the cream cheese and wasabi into a paste
Spread a bit of the cream cheese mixture on a rice cracker.
Top with one shrimp and garnish the top with a little chopped scallion.

Turkish "Cigarette" Pastry

2  sheets phyllo pastry 
300  g feta cheese 
1  cup parsley, chopped 
oil, for deep frying 

In a mixing bowl, mash the feta cheese and mix in the chopped parsley.
Divide the cheese mixture into 24 equal portions.
Lay out the filo sheets and cut them into a total of 24 triangles (the easiest way to lay them on top of other, cut from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, then from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, then divide up each quarter into 3 triangles-
To roll your"cigarettes", put a portion of cheese at the wide end of a triangle, then fold in the edges to seal the cheese in before rolling it all up; you can seal the very tip of your roll with a little water.
When all the rolls have been assembled, deep fry them until they are golden and crispy.
Serve freshly fried.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Feb 07 3:19pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

How about "verdure fresche con pinsimonio"?
Trays of fresh veg (carrots, celery, fennel, radishes etc) washed and sliced into sticks/portions, ready for your guests to dip in their own personal little bowl of "pinsimonio", which is extra virgin olive oil salted and peppered to taste.
Can be very decorative, cheap and filling. It's also really healthy too. big_smile

Likes (0)