forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Feb 07 11:26pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Santoku (granton) Knife vs Chef's Knife

Curiosity has me asking what people prefer? 

I have both knives (Henckels Prof) and tend to use them each equally.  On The Food Network you see a lot of chef's using the Santoku and as I said I'm just wondering who prefers what?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 Feb 07 7:26am

WaiferThinMint

Occupation Student, Chef on the side
From Philadelphia, PA, USA
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Santoku (granton) Knife vs Chef's Knife

I've always liked the chef's knife better, the larger degree of curve on the blade allows me to rock it more efficiently, I think.

Also, it's what I learned to cook with, and as it has not yet let me down I have no reason to change.

However, the few times I have used a santuko, I found them to work well...but the weighting differential required some adjustment...

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 Feb 07 6:26pm

londonlorne

From at the rink
Member since Wed 29 Dec 04

We use our Wustof Santoku as our primary knife, although it's probably cuz that's what we have become accustomed to using.  Our chef knife is a second generation hand-me-down which doesn't have the balance or feel of the Wustof.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 13 Feb 07 1:18am

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

I use mine equally as well, depending on what I'm doing.  If it's finely slicing (such as fennel for a salad), then I'll definitely use my Wusthof.  I tend to use my chef's knife for mincing or slicing larger cuts of meat.  I like them both equally, I suppose, though my santoku fits better in my (smallish) hand.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 13 Feb 07 3:47am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

The santoku is definitely a lighter feeling knife than my 10" chef's knife.  I miss the large bolster found on the chef's knife though.  I guess it's part of the design.  It certainly can't be beat for thinly slicing.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 16 Feb 07 10:34pm

canadian boy

Occupation Federal Government of Canada
From right here, right now
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

I love my santoku, it gets the biggest workout in my collection.  I love the versatility, and feel of the knife. although the old chef's knife comes into play quite often...

Likes (0)